Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need Advice  "work and play"

I am getting ready to buy my first green laser pointer. I will be using this for work and play. what would be a good mw and company to go with. At work i will be using this to point at items i am discussing with my coworkers . Mainly in auto plants pointing at electrical pipe runs, air lines ,ductwork .....at ceiling level. also pointing at items outside on construction sites. I would like to see the beam and be able to play with this laser also . will one laser do this or is safety going to prevent me from being able to one laser for work and play.

Re: Need Advice  "work and play"

I've found that a 5mW green laser pointer is just too bright for small room presentations.  It'll probably be the same for what you're showing to coworkers unless it's from a great distance.  Any brighter than 5mW and it's going to be unbearable to stare at.

So what I would do is get a powerful green laser module for play, and use a red laser pointer for work.  They're much easier on the eyes, and just as useful.  If you want a "special" red laser pointer, consider one of the 635nm varieties at Atlasnova.  You can still use a green one, but I'd limit it to 5mW or it's going to be hard to look at, and your coworkers will find it more annoying than impressive.

Another thing to remember is that if your laser is > 5mW it might cause eye damage, and the stuff in your electrical plant may be too reflective to safely use a laser module (module means >5mW).

thanks for the advice . so now i need a 5mw green , a high powered red , and a high powered green maybe around 125mw any suggestions ?? what company is the best?

Abray

Well depending on how much money you are willing to shell out, you can go to DX or Laserglow or NOVAlasers. DX will have the 5mW green, the higher powered green, and the high powered red. The greens won't be good quality, but their 200mW red is pretty good. If you go to Laserglow.com, you can get a 5mW green, high powered green, and a high powered red. It will cost a LOT though.

If I were you, I would buy a
5mW green laser from Laserglow
high powered green from NOVAlasers
high powered red from DX

thank you for the advice . i know the 3 companys that you suggested are in the FAQ , but which laser from which company is not. i want to spend about 500$ give or take a few bucks

iewed

Get the $90 version of the Galileo
Buy the 200mW DX Red for $55
Buy Nova X-100 for $230
Buy one of these for $45, and one of these for $50.

Use the coupon code LPFROX! to get 15% off of the LaserShades at Stonetek.org

The total will be about $470+shipping.

LaserGlow is pretty expensive, but I've heard that they have execllent quality and customer service, plus hands free operation is something that you'll probably use quite a bit in the professional world.

One of those DX 5mW greens will probably be just fine for you too. Then you don't have to worry so much about dropping it or if it gets broken or stolen. These ones are especially nice since they have a toggle clicky switch instead of a pushbutton. iewed's roundup looks pretty good though.