Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need a laser to "Have fun with" ._.'

JamTKD

Ok here's the deal

I love lasers, but i can't afford to spend a fortune on them. Luckily Christmas is rolling around, so i could ask for one from my parents.

They will not approve of anything mega-spensive or something that could burn the house down.

I have a 5mw green laser already- and i'm wondering what's a good laser to get that i can still do cool things with that isn't over say 50mw, and isn't very expensive.

I'm thinking about a blu-ray, and getting a glow in the dark writing surface or something. I just don't know what blu-ray laser would best fit my needs.

Comments please?

Thanks

Ehgemus host + PHR module with rkcstr driver (from modwerx.com for cheap) = More than enough :)

tak

I didnt want to create a new thread so I figured my question fit in here.

I'm currently getting ready to start off a few projects.
I'm gonna buy a BR DIY (still wondering if I should go with a "hot" option or not...as I think that would take some of the fun out of it, but then again, this would be my first laser so I could probably screw some things up...but whatever).
That one will be somewhere between 150 - 200 mW, probably gonna go with one of jayrob's kits.

Now I want to build another laser, preferrably a small one and I wanted to know what mW range is safe to use without worrying about burning someone's eyes out. Basically, for a keychain etc.

Granted, I'm not gonna go around shining a low powered laser at peoples eyes ever, I'm just asking as a precaution. I kind of want to stay away from buying prebuilt lasers as what interests me most about this forum/lasers is being able to build them myself.

Sooo, what would you all consider a "safe" range? At what mW do you want to consider wearing goggles, or be more careful?

Thanks!

Using any laser over 5mw?
WEAR GOGGLES, especially blu-ray etc no exceptions.

tak

Damn, ok now I get the picture....why make them as keychains then? lol
Note taken.

People like keychains I guess =P?
I recommend these, they are very cost effective and block between 98%/99% of the power out from a blu-ray at 100mw, save your eye for $8!

Professional Anti Green Laser Glassess - Focalprice.com

Just on a side note just because you have protection it does not mean you should even consider looking at the laser on purpose through the specs, hope this helped ya more.