Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Nd:YAG rod FS/Trade

Up for trade (or sale, but would prefer trade) is one large Nd:YAG rod. Pictures of this rod are available at this post:

http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1196435338/3#3

If a significant cash offer comes in, I'll consider it (it IS Christmas time... I can hear my credit cards making sucking sounds at me)... But I'm looking to trade for laser stuff - and specifically solid-state laser stuff - BluRay diodes, greens, certain optics... things like that. Also willing to trade for some of those really GOOD surface mount style LD driver boards - along with a few other items.

SO... since in the above post I was only estimating sizes, and now I'm actually putting this beauty on the block, here's the closest I can get to exact measurements:

11 - 9/16" length
3/8" diameter

It does not APPEAR to be coated or mirrored on either end, unless it is coated or mirrored with something only visible if I could see in the IR spectrum. :)

If someone is SERIOUSLY interested, I'll take any pics - angles, comparisons, whatever - you need. Please don't take it personally if I ask to use a third-party for any trade arrangements if I don't know you well yet.

So let me know!

Dave

PS., I decided to trade this after honestly evaluating my available time and resources to put this rod into actual use. Not gonna happen - for a long time. So- it's too nice of a rod to let it lay around anymore, and now that I've found this place, I know there's some folks out there who could appreciate and use it, as I probably never will. But I CAN seriously use some other stuff! :)

disma

I wish i had some money to offer you for it! all my funds are accounted for for a month or so. I dont really have anything good to trade you that would be worth this awesome rod!

Max

Too bad no one lives near me - I'd trade for firewood or snowplowing! :)

Dave

S

SenKat

Wish I could, man :( I have LOTS of other projects stacked up - waiting for me to be able to hit the garage again ! :p

Oh man...Don't tempt me like that! I've wanted to make a YAG for Years now, and that thing is certain to put out a HUGE amount of power. But I know I wouldn't get to it any time soon, so it would be better for someone else to actually make it lase.

To whomever ends up with this, make it work or face the wrath of LPF! LOL

I'm starting to wonder if EVERYBODY is in the same boat - we all WANT to make THIS thing work, AND we all have too much going on to actually BUY this thing... so we hope the next guy has the time and money.

IT will be awesome to see the whump of power this will put out when someone does power it up. I'd hate to have to resort to eBay... I'll keep this thread going for a week or so until I'm sure that all who might want it have had a chance to see it.

Dave

Sorry I can't take it off your hands, but just out of interest how much would this thing retail for? As I've seen little bits of crystal (I can't remember what type) selling for over £50 on eBay for a crappy piece the size of a coin. So your rod must be worth it's weight in gold!

BTW: The person who gets it fired up has to write their name on the moon!

On a side note: If you had a REALLY powerful laser, say kW's of infra-red, and pointed it at some clouds, providing the laser transferred all (or most of) it's power to the tiny water droplets in the cloud, could you heat up the cloud enough to make it rain? Crazy thought, but is it possible?

Lol... you could make a rain cloud follow someone then! ;D

Dan :)

Benm

It is a very nice rod, but i think it would be quite the challenge to use it to create a functional laser... especially when it has no mirrors on the ends, and you'd have to provide those externally.

Very nice for anyone that likes to fiddle with such thing still they work, no matter how long it takes ;)

disma

I am, I did, I wish I had something to trade! Man, I cant wait to see what kinda laser whoever gets this makes from it! :eek:

Max

Just imagine finding THIS rod in your stocking Christmas morning! :)

....eBay's starting to look good I guess... Going once....

::bump::

Going twice... Just bumping this in case anyone got wads of lasers or cash they want to trade for this item... before I put it on eBay.

Dave