Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Nausea & Dizziness

I got a 230mW 405 laser a couple of weeks ago and Ive noticed that after I use it (regardless of using goggles) my eyes bug me and I feel nauseated and dizzy..:wtf: I never experienced that with other lasers, any idea why? should I get my eyes checked?

405 nm is kind of strange like that. Being so close to the ultraviolet wavelengths, our eyes have a hard time being able to focus on it. I find that even if I focus my blu ray laser correctly, the dot still looks out of focus. I think you might be experiencing a similar problem, especially if you use the laser for extended periods of time. Try using the laser for only a few minutes at a time with breaks in between and try not to stare to hard at the dot. And with a laser of that power, ALWAYS wear your goggles. :cool:

Xer0

Experiencing the same when using my RGV Scanner. after some time you feeld tired. I always have eye dropd ready they relief this dryness quickly.

Good to know, I was worried i might have somehow damaged my eyes!
Thanks

Nah. Think of your eyes focusing like a feedback loop. They keep trying to focus until they 'get it'. (Kind of like contrast detection focusing in a digital camera. The lens will 'search' back and forth until it 'locks on' to the best focus. In this case, your eyes are never given the chance to 'lock on'.)

As some folks here mentioned, 405 is kind of "special" as while it is visible, the resolution that it can be percieved at is rather low.

Because of this, 405nm tends to "bloom" no matter what (if the spot looks 'puffy' or 'smudged', thats normal, it's how most everyone sees it) - your eyes will continue to try to focus, over and over, without ever "getting it", causing eyestrain and eye fatigue.

Also since depth perception and distance is tied directly into eye focus (what your eyes focus on signal to your brain how far away something is - the focusing gives a 'distance and depth cue' to your brain) - not being able to focus on something at a distance can cause equilibrium problems, therefore the dizziness and nausea.

Like most things that cause equilibrium issues though, it can be gotten used to. When I first started flying, I got sick whenever I went up. Now it's no problem. You'll acclimate, your brain can filter out the confusing messages eventually.

Actually, the person is on to something here that isn't as simple as it seems.
Both my daughter and myself suffer from the same problem.
Mine is triggered by everything from the mid 400 to mid 600nm ranges.
There is not a lot of real info on this though, which I find so strange since the effect (at least in my case) is so intense.
I'll be looking into this further as I feel it is something that does deserve a serious look, and a general consensus as to it's true cause.

There is not a lot of real info on this though, which I find so strange since the effect (at least in my case) is so intense.
I'll be looking into this further as I feel it is something that does deserve a serious look, and a general consensus as to it's true cause.

400nm to 600nm.... So all colors except red makes you dizzy and nauseated?

Gif26.gif

Last edited:

So you get dizzy from looking at basically anything?

Pretty much, yes.
I've had various commercial (novelty) lasers over the years, but probably never really played with one more than the average person does with a cat.
Until a few years ago when I started working in the fields of high energy, and plasma physics. Since I needed quick, easy, reliable lasers to learn on, I grabbed a few assortments of the usual from eBay and got right to work.
I noticed something right away with the green, but I figured it was just too bright. And since I had recently read something about shielding I figured I'd start with the ruby.
I think I probably spent an hour or so, with brief exposures, finding myself slightly "gun-shy" each time I went to fire. I just kind of filed it away until a few days later when I was telling my family and my daughter made a comment. ..."Yea Dad, that kind of happens to me too." Hers was about the same as mine. Pretty sensitive to it, highly effected by it, immediate response to it, (do not even have to look directly at it) And it can have very prolonged effects.
I have tried to look for any information on this, but it actually seems kind of rare.
The general consensus seems to be that it is a form of Epilepsy, but this doesn't hold water from what I've learned about epilepsy. (It's possible, but something else seems more likely)
Anyway. I sent away for a more powerful green that I needed and it almost dropped me. I still get queasy every time I think about how to next configure it.
I have not worked yet with any other spectrum outside of visible light.
Hope that helps a little more.
:)
PS. Tonight is a great night for "space" where I'm at!

Some people see things with a yellow tint after looking at a blue laser, this is a well know syndrome but I can not think of what it is called, some one step in here.

Where's a doctor when you need one, calling jmillerdoc, calling jmillerdoc report to the nausea & dizziness thread stat...

Last edited:
Looks like an old post. Just curious, in the two years this has need posted, has the OP's symptoms resolved, progressed, or stayed the same? If the OP was near 40 years old or older, it would be a good time to get your eyes checked, yes. The response discussing the eyes ability to focus on this wavelength as being difficult makes the best argument for the symptoms, and it is a well known fact that humans start to lose their ability to "accomodate" around age forty. It could be the OP's eyes are straining even harder to accomodate this wavelength if they are turning close to forty thus causing even worse symptoms. That's not to say a younger person couldn't experience these symptoms, certainly anyone could. Some people's feedback loops in the brains equilibrium system are more sensitive than others and it could be this OP is just very sensitive to changes in their equilibrium system. I bet the OP probably also experiences motion sickness pretty easily too. That's just an educated guess but it would make sense. Lastly, I know it's very tempting not to wear goggles, God knows I've done it myself, but you really should be wearing them at all times. Your vision, unfortunately, is one of those things you tend to take for granted until you lose it or damage it.
That's the doc's two cents.....

When I ran into this thread a few weeks ago, it was because I was looking for a similar thread I had commented on a while earlier. When I noticed I did not have a comment, (but I did have an account) I figured I'd leave something.
I'm not sure if the original poster is even watching the thread, but I would be more than happy to take the place of the person with the query.
In that respect, I have known about my symptoms for about the same amount of time. And am comfortable answering the other questions as well.
In my case, I am in my mid 40's and do wear bi-focal's for reading. I have never specifically mentioned any of this to my optician, but would refer back to my earlier mention of my daughter and her reactions as well. (Although to be fair, she does wear glasses too)
Thank you also for your mention of the goggles.
I think that one of the main problems causing this might actually be a misunderstanding of the actual amounts of energy we are dealing with here, and some misconceptions about shielding as well.
For the longest time I was under the impression that a simple pair of sunglasses was enough as long as they were UV rated.
I still don't have a proper set of goggles, but then again, I've stopped my experiments for the time being as well.
So I guess the next question comes from a safety point of view then.
Why are the safety requirements in place? What exposures do what effects? Why are some versions not as dangerous, and why are others more so?
Do only wattage's or frequency's of this range do something? Or does one of something different do something different?
Ultimately, I'm guessing it's going to come down to some sort of an overload, or "disruptive harmonic" to the optic nerves that's causing it, but to find it at such a readily available level, (Ie. toys) is kind of disconcerting.

I don't think it's likely to be that deep. I think you're having trouble focusing on a point. With 405 it's more exacerbated as I explained above because your eye will never fully focus on it.

If you defocus a laser (if any of yours are focusable), does the same thing happen?