Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Name reference suggestion

Hi folks, I thought of a new idea lately

It would be very cool to make an additional notification system in User CP, where a user would get notifications of their name is mentioned in the thread they are not subscribed to.

For example, if we need some expert opinion here, all one needs to comment is say (after his opinion or something):
"...but I think daguin or billg519 would know better" <- note that whole nickname needs to be typed, not Dave or Bill, to avoid uneccessary notification 'spamming' when not needed.

What do you guys say?
Seems like a neat feature, without having to PM somebody only to say that they are needed on a thread.

If this sort of feature isn't available to VB in a plugin then I'd think it would be rather difficult to implement, no?

KiLLrB

Great Idea! but then every time you mention someones name they get a message. So I think you would need a method to activate the function like ~daguin to get daves attention or something like that.

If this sort of feature isn't available to VB in a plugin then I'd think it would be rather difficult to implement, no?
I have no idea what are you talking about (VB as in vBulletin?)

But I am sure it can be written, C0ld is skilled programmer AFAIK. Should be no problem for him.

Great Idea! but then every time you mention someones name they get a message. So I think you would need a method to activate the function like ~daguin to get daves attention or something like that.
Well, that is what I've said , you only get notification if your name is said on
'Unsubscribed' thread.
You are aware what is going on in subscribed ones, but a thread you never saw and posted on will not get your attention unless someone PMs you.

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
That's actually a really good idea. Would help a LOT. I often search my name to see if anyone have posted anything that I have missed. Only potential problem is some people have user names that are very common words. I guess you could just add a certain symbol in front of the name to specify that you are summoning a user. Other than that I think this would be extremely useful on the forum.

KiLLrB

Well, that is what I've said , you only get notification if your name is said on
'Unsubscribed' thread.
You are aware what is going on in subscribed ones, but a thread you never saw and posted on will not get your attention unless someone PMs you.

if you did that no one would be able to say anything about that person without an annoying unneeded message and ppl will get tired of it and stop checking it (I know I would). I was saying put a "~" in front of it (or some other character to activate the messanger not just the name) so it makes it less annoying ;)

I have no idea what are you talking about (VB as in vBulletin?)

But I am sure it can be written, C0ld is skilled programmer AFAIK. Should be no problem for him.
Yeah I was referring to vBulletin, aka the system this forum uses for anyone who doesn't know. I do think it's a great idea though! (Although it would mainly be relevant to the elite vets, so I suppose it would be ideal if they would weigh in on this.)

daguin

Yeah I was referring to vBulletin, aka the system this forum uses for anyone who doesn't know. I do think it's a great idea though! (Although it would mainly be relevant to the elite vets, so I suppose it would be ideal if they would weigh in on this.)

If you want me to notice something, send me a link in a PM ;)

Peace,
dave

That's actually a really good idea. Would help a LOT. I often search my name to see if anyone have posted anything that I have missed. Only potential problem is some people have user names that are very common words. I guess you could just add a certain symbol in front of the name to specify that you are summoning a user. Other than that I think this would be extremely useful on the forum.

if you did that no one would be able to say anything about that person without an annoying unneeded message and ppl will get tired of it and stop checking it (I know I would). I was saying put a "~" in front of it (or some other character to activate the messanger not just the name) so it makes it less annoying ;)
Well mostly nobody is being talked about with full name reference, usually all shortened versions and different names, like Dave for daguin, Bill for billg519,
Wayne for photonaholic and so on...

If you guys think a symbol is a good idea, I will agree too. I am open to all permutations of the idea, as long as it is brought to life.
Symbol or no symbol, would be nice if someone just mentions the name and user will take notice,
Instead of (even multiple) people sending PMs :"Ey you are needed here [link]"

Like you have a PM notification, you can also have:

"Your name was mentioned recently on following thread(s):"
lThread link
thread link

@Dave, well you just kind of killed my idea straight to the heart :crackup:

HIMNL9

What about asterisks before and after, so if you want that the user get a notification, you must type it intentionally ?

like, as example:

"i think 2007revolution can see it" <-- no notification sent

"i think *2007revolution* can see it" <-- notification sent

This way, it must be done intentionally, if the poster want to draw the attention of someone, and also prevent that a user get, maybe, 8 or 10 notifications for posts where its nick was just cited occasionally (or in the mentioned case that someone have as nick a common word ..... just imagine if someone have "laser" as nick, the script will probably crash the forum a pair of times each day just for send all the notifications each time someone write "laser" somewhere, LOL :crackup:)

I think this would be a good idea.
Maybe using hashes # infront of (as well as behind?) the username?
I think people use asterisks too commonly, as a way to accentuate something.

To my knowledge no such plug in exists, and VB (Vbulletin) has 2 forums for only registered license holders (I am an active member on both) so if this plug in did exist, I'd be aware of it.

It would be handy sometimes, other times not so handy.

Also, just as an example.... mrgoogfan was often referred to as googfart, googfreak, douchefan, etc... so it would not work too well there.

To my knowledge no such plug in exists, and VB (Vbulletin) has 2 forums for only registered license holders (I am an active member on both) so if this plug in did exist, I'd be aware of it.

It would be handy sometimes, other times not so handy.

Also, just as an example.... mrgoogfan was often referred to as googfart, googfreak, douchefan, etc... so it would not work too well there.
He is not even supposed to be notified since we do not need his opinion (what-so-ever I might add).
BTW he is banned. So?

How hard it would be to write such a plug in, if possible?

EDIT: Yeah, well, forgot to say that we should always intentionally summon somebody, because we would need them at the moment, opinion or anything else at all.
Why would you want to notify somebody when you are hammering them?
For instance, we do not want mrgoogs opinion, we are only discussing how he is lying or something, and IF we want him to see that, we simply add a symbol for notification.

Last edited: