Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

N2 TEA laser (very clean set-up ;-)

Hey
As the title says: A simple ZVS driven TEA nitrogen laser...
The laser-plasma is free of arcs and almost perfect. The electrodes can be aligned...2 screws and a spring between the electrodes do the trick.
Measurements and other details in the description of the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qGswRNmVkI

TEA2.jpg

TEA6.jpg

SpotComp.jpg

PlasmaDetail.JPG

Last edited:

Arayan

Nitrogen laser are cool but very dangerous... you must be careful to protect not only the eyes, but also the skin! A technician in my lab had problems only with a simple UV bulb...

BTW a very nice job as always :)

Hey
I got goggles....don't worry. And why the hell should I lase my skin? ;-)
Even though its more a flashlight, than a laser, as every typical
TEA N2 laser...

Arayan

And why the hell should I lase my skin?
Accidents can also happen to experienced people and UV radiations are very harmfull for the skin's cells :p

By the way I had never seen a laser of this kind it is very unusual ;)

Right. But I las at paper-targets only. Divergence is so crappy....makes no sense to lase into a room with fog or something like that.

What do you mean? Never saw a TEA-laser before? ;-) utube is full with those...the set-up is crappy most times...but I wanted a nice and clean set-up you know. And plexi aint that expensive!

Arayan

I've never seen it with my own eyes :angel: ... and even on the web :D

Last edited:
Means you dont have a homemade N2 laser? Thats a must for the DIY-laser-enthusiast man!!!! A must!!!

What is the input voltage/current?
Have you measured your HV side capacitance? (are you using manufactured caps or alu foil separated by a dielectric)?
Electrode length?

I have been thinking of making a ZVS TEA for a while now as well, but other projects (higher voltages :)) have come in the way.

A very nice and clean build! Congrats. :beer:

Must be around 10kV...input is 6-10W...cant measure it you know. But what the hell...it runs well. Strong enough to make a dye lase.
The alu-sheets I used toe the 2 caps are 150mm x 75mm 1mm thick...I made the laser, you do the math ;-) actually I dont even wanna know all the exact data...its a 100% DIY laser...fabricatin it is most of the fun. Like LEGO you know!

Thanks
I just love plexi...if it looks good, no need for a paint-job. If you want it with colors and what not, just paint it. I work in a lab for paints and plastics you know. So its kinda easy for me...as seen on the laser-gun ;-)

I gotta REAL big TE-laser on my second workbench. 1.5m long (4.5feet) 58 doorknob-caps...will take some time til its done, but it will be huge ^^

Must be around 10kV...input is 6-10W...cant measure it you know. But what the hell...it runs well. Strong enough to make a dye lase.
The alu-sheets I used toe the 2 caps are 150mm x 75mm 1mm thick...I made the laser, you do the math ;-) actually I dont even wanna know all the exact data...its a 100% DIY laser...fabricatin it is most of the fun. Like LEGO you know!

Hey,

Yeah building is always the fun part. :)

I should have been more specific with the power input. I meant power input into the ZVS driver. (Volts and amps going from the transformer or power supply).

Best Regards,
brtaman

Of course...its 12V in @ .5A maybe .65A max
Its a small laser...so the input does not have to be like 200W or so you know. Just wanted a small reliable laser...and good looking of course.

Nice set up!

337nm is not too bad for the skin. Usually people get freaked out when you get into FHG YAG or Eximer systems at <300nm.