Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

mythbusters

i just got done watching the latest episode of mythbusters about the moon landing being fake, they used a 1 gigawatt ( 100 billion times stronger than a 10mw laser to shine at the moon! the hit a thingy that bounces the laser beam back to earth thus proving that us humans have been on earth! they also did a number of other tests to prove that we have indeed been to the moon and they were all conclusive, WE HAVE BEEN TO THE MOON WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT!!!! another thing i found interesting was that the gloves on a real space suit cost half a million dollars!!!

anybody else catch the new episode?

Jamie broke the cardinal rule of lasers: never point them at someone. He lased Adam right in the forehead at very close range with a 10mW 532nm pointer. I will have speaks with him next time I see him. He'll probably tell me where to stick it, lol.

FrothyChimp said:
Jamie broke the cardinal rule of lasers: never point them at someone. He lased Adam right in the forehead at very close range with a 10mW 532nm pointer. I will have speaks with him next time I see him. He'll probably tell me where to stick it, lol.

i took note of that as well and i was like "wow he just shined that by his eye, lol"

i can't believe you have met Jamie! thats tight

I didnt see it, Imma find it and download it.

Aus TV is so far behind...

Ace82

I saw that last night. Is it true though, I'm still skeptical because it's still media...

That was funny that he shined it at his forehead. With all the dangerous stuff they do, I'm sure that was one of the least.

A few friends where mocking me because of that episode because I'm such a laser freak. ;D ;D

I recorded that episode, have yet to watch it, but I just want to know when are they going to get a hold of some multi-kilowatt monster laser and wreak all sorts of destruction with it!?! That will be a show I won't be able to miss!

I just watched the whole episode...
It's pretty cool, I wonder what wavelength that laser was though.

L

laserguys

Jimmymcjimthejim said:
I just watched the whole episode...
It's pretty cool, I wonder what wavelength that laser was though.

Well it looked green to me ;D

They do set some bad examples for people in some ways. I know the "I'm a professional, don't try this at home" thing, but some of the things I've seen them do are pretty UNprofessional.

Episode 53: Holding a rubber hose from a tank of compressed hydrogen directly into the carburetor of a running engine, with one hand on the hose and one hand on the tank, and I didn't see the tank tied down in any way. In the labs I've worked in, I would have been fired on the spot for having any pressurized tank sitting upright unsecured at all, much less having a pressurized tank of a flammable gas in use while being unsecured. That tank tipping over could/probably would have killed people. The flame running back into the tank, well, I don't know if it would have burned or not, the upper flammability limit for hydrogen is around 75%, so I can't debate that. But in now way could it have been a good thing. If it was secured in some way that I didn't see on camera, then I will slightly take it back and apologize, but it's still stupid to be running something like that straight from a tank into an area like that.

Very entertaining show, I would love to have their job. Which just makes me even more adament that I don't want to see them dead.

Ace82 said:
532nm dpss  using these crystals!

Nice video, excellent demonstration of materials science/crystals growing on preferred habit planes and the macro-shape being completely decided by atomic arrangement.  

Crystal growth is amazing stuff, the single-crystal silicon ingots out there today are amazing: This photo is a little old school: nowadays they can grow them this long and over 15 inches in diameter.

si_einkrist_inset.jpg