Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My yellow build.

mfo

Hello again LPF. I've decided that my next build is going to be a yellow (combining 532nm & 650nm). I am going to assemble this inside of a project box because I want this to be a high power, highly visible yellow beam. Well, I've got an idea on how I'm going to do this.

Obviously, I'm going to need a 532nm module and a 650nm module. Question is, which ones? For green, I'm thinking of going with an o-like module. Sorry for noob question but the o-like green modules do not have an IR filter, right? If not, should I get a separate IR filter?

I'm also thinking of using an o-like red module. However, I'm a bit torn. I would use a standard 16x or 20x inside of aixiz, but the wings are turning me off because they would obviously look atrocious extending from a yellow beam. Any recommendations?

I'm also going to install a small fan inside to keep it all nice and cool.

Now, as far as the power supply goes. Let's say I use 1 12VDC power supply & I have the red & green o-like modules in there. Would I be able to hook each module up to its own voltage regulator to tweak the intensity of each beam to achieve that perfect sexy yellow? Something is telling me I'm going to have to somehow adjust the driver itself. If I do have to mess with the driver itself, how should I pot mod it?

Thanks guys. I will start construction on this real soon, and I will definitely post pics of its progress (By soon I mean after the holidays).

Edit: Whoops, almost forgot to mention I'm leaning towards using this dichro to combine.

http://www.lasever.com/Optics.htm

"Dichros G-R"

Last edited:

Nice idea. As for the red, I *think* that the 3.8mm diodes don't have the wings like the LOC's do. If you could get an adapter turned, you'd be good (wingwise).

Nice idea. As for the red, I *think* that the 3.8mm diodes don't have the wings like the LOC's do. If you could get an adapter turned, you'd be good (wingwise).

I'm not for certain, but I thought that the optics would correct any wings.

If you search around Jayrob made one using optics from a sled. A much more compact unit. I want to make one myself.

Hey I wonder if Jayrob can take one of his large heatsinks on a large host and drill out two holes. For the red use a typical mirror to reflect the red beam to hit that Dichros. You could make a yellow laser out of his sidebutton host. You would just need to add an additional metal part to hold the mirror and Dichros.

EDIT: Where do you buy those dichros anyways. I don't see a price on them or where to buy

Last edited:

mfo

Well, I drew up a diagram in Photoshop on how I'm thinking the insides of this will look.

http://chrishug.com/yellow.png

I am having a couple of dilemmas though.

1) I'm going to make this a lab-style laser, and it's going to be fed by a 12VDC transformer that plugs into a wall. I guess I am going to need three voltage regulators that will split the voltage according to the diagram.

2) I am going to need a way to house the mirrors. Any ideas? I am thinking of using legos and a tiny drop of epoxy to hold the mirrors in place.

3) I've seen you need roughly a 1:4 ratio of green to red respectively to achieve a nice yellow beam. How would I go about adjusting the driver for the red diode to lessen the red intensity to blend it with the green? I am planning on using the 3.6mm red LOC from the blu-ray sleds because they are wingless. One idea I have is set the current low with the driver, then just adjust the volate regulator. Do note that the driver will be inside of the module, most likely a Rkcstr.

Hot glue would work better for the dichros I think. It will give you a little hang time to adjust. Plus they are easily removed. Do dichros heat up???

Hot glue would work better for the dichros I think. It will give you a little hang time to adjust. Plus they are easily removed. Do dichros heat up???

I don't think they heat up because the light passes through. Hot glue is to messy I think. The mirrors need to be aligned just right at 45 Degree angles. Its hard to position them while gluing.

EDIT: maybe a trip to home depot or someplace would be beneficial

mfo

I need ideas for voltage regulators. Ideas anyone?