Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My take on macro

Hi all :)

I kindly recieved a couple of dead diode's from Blord who makes wonderfull macro shots himself.
So i wanted to try some Macro shots myself, and blord helped me with this :)

Let me know what you think..

Thank you for providing the diode's Blord.. :beer:
It's fun taking picture's like this...

cB1x88S.jpg

2LSMj18.jpg

1iAZAmV.jpg

dkvI9SF.jpg

And a visitor, lol.

wZs3cGh.jpg

Cheers, Sm.

Great shots! I especially like the fly. Was it still alive? I cant see a fly sitting there, that close, and allowing you the time to photograph it...? + 1 :) :beer:

Edit: Forgot to ask what set up are you using? Camera, lenses etc...

Last edited:
Great shots! I especially like the fly. Was it still alive? I cant see a fly sitting there, that close, and allowing you the time to photograph it...? + 1 :) :beer:

Edit: Forgot to ask what set up are you using? Camera, lenses etc...

Hi Grainde, thank you for your reply :)

The fly was not alive.
It's hard to take a macro of living insects, but also not impossible.
Taking macro's of things like diode's is allready hard sinds triggering the button on the camera results in shaking.

The setup i used is nothing special, but it sure is a good camera for picking up different laser colors.
It's a *Sony DSC-HX200V.
It allready has a good macro option of it's own, but i used this macro lens to enhance it.
*Raynox M-250.

Thank you,

Cheers, Sm.

DJNY

For a non-professional equipment these are awesome :beer:

For a non-professional equipment these are awesome :beer:

Thanx DJNY, it fun to do actually :D
Maybe one day i'll buy a pro camera :)

Was actually considering buying yours ^^

Ohh well, maybe a D650 or something....someday.

I shot these also, (non laser related, i know... but fun to show)

The tiny target ^^

xcj8X46.jpg

The giant beast

XY8I1oQ.jpg

My father and I used to photograph live insects all the time. With some species, like Dragonflies, you must photograph them while living to capture their amazing colors.

What he taught me to do was put the bugs in a tupperware in the freezer for a few minutes, until the animals are completely inert, but still alive. We then carried the inert insect over to the macro table, and shot until the animal woke back up, and left unharmed.

The only trouble with this arrangement was when my mom would go the the freezer, and freak out at the sight of many insects in her freezer!

My father and I used to photograph live insects all the time. With some species, like Dragonflies, you must photograph them while living to capture their amazing colors.

What he taught me to do was put the bugs in a tupperware in the freezer for a few minutes, until the animals are completely inert, but still alive. We then carried the inert insect over to the macro table, and shot until the animal woke back up, and left unharmed.

The only trouble with this arrangement was when my mom would go the the freezer, and freak out at the sight of many insects in her freezer!

Hehe nice story and good tip :beer:

Cheers, Sm..

Very nice! Thanks for sharing!

I think there's a slider in Adobe Lightroom to correct chromatic aberration (fringing) but that program isn't quite cheap and it might not be worth it. :)

Very nice! Thanks for sharing!

I think there's a slider in Adobe Lightroom to correct chromatic aberration (fringing) but that program isn't quite cheap and it might not be worth it. :)

Never had my mind set on any Adobe programs, but perhaps i should :)
I'm using a free program called irfanview, but there's not much to do in that program ^^.

Maybe a good investment in a propper camera, aldo this one seems to do just fine for what i use it for... but maybe some day :)

Cheers, Sm.

You did great with these... macro is a technical process and just takes practice. The depth of field becomes paper thin even with supplemental light and almost unworkable in ambient lighting. I remember in the old days taking a standard 50mm lens from an SLR, flipping it over backwards, and handholding it in front of a digital point and shoot camera to get early macros. As you dial in your technique, you will figure out little tweaks that help. Over in the "post your random pics" thread (post #368), I shared some of my macros... all the critters were alive and kickin (well, except the ant being drained like a slurpy), which brings stalking and timing into the already challenging shot. It's a very fun and rewarding hobby.

Your off to a great start! These are good and thank you for sharing your pics!

Cheers,
Clayton

Last edited:
You did great with these... macro is a technical process and just takes practice. The depth of field becomes paper thin even with supplemental light and almost unworkable in ambient lighting. I remember in the old days taking a standard 50mm lens from an SLR, flipping it over backwards, and handholding it in front of a digital point and shoot camera to get early macros. As you dial in your technique, you will figure out little tweaks that help. Over in the "post your random pics" thread (post #368), I shared some of my macros... all the critters were alive and kickin (well, except the ant being drained like a slurpy), which brings stalking and timing into the already challenging shot. It's a very fun and rewarding hobby.

Your off to a great start! These are good and thank you for sharing your pics!

Cheers,
Clayton

Thank you for you're story :)

It is indeed a tricky, stalking procedure and it makes it all part of the fun.
The challenge of getting the right click at the right time.
I literally sat 30min on the ground for a creature to pass by ^^ and even spotted a dragonfly, but all flew away when they saw there self reflection.

It's like you say indeed a very fun and rewarding hobby, and i'm just getting started.
It's a whole new world.

Even a piece of Sugar on some candy looks lovely.

DTC3DKl.jpg

Gone try and see how it will look with some laser light hitting it from a angle.

Cheers :beer:

Sm.

Last edited:
Hey Smeerworst check out GIMP its a free photo editing software! Its not quite as powerful as adobe, but none the less for the price it really is very good. ;) :beer:

Last edited:

Blord

Once you enter the Macro world you will never leave. :D
Great shots. I didn't know the diodes were so banged up. The wires aren't visible with bare eyes.

***edit*** I can't repped you. Spread reps bla bla bla.

Last edited:
Hey Smeerworst check out GIMP its a free photo editing software! Its not quite as powerful as adobe, but none the less for the price it really is very good. ;) :beer:

Thank you :) will look into it!
i'm sure i've heard of gimp before.

Blord said:
Once you enter the Macro world you will never leave.
Great shots. I didn't know the diodes were so banged up. The wires aren't visible with bare eyes.

***edit*** I can't repped you. Spread reps bla bla bla.

Thank you for providing them to me... i've never actually held a diode in my hands before :shhh:

I shot the same piece of candy but lighted with 589nm :D

I think i'm gone do more of these shots where it's light source is from a laser.
Should make for some ordenary shots.

03CAzwX.jpg

Insects and lasers i'm not so sure on that :tinfoil:

Cheers, :beer: Sm.

Last edited: