Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My Star Trek Phaser Mod

I thought about this last year and then I saw the KipKay video and I figured out an easier way. This is the coolest toy I've ever had in the history of my stinking life. Here it is:

Btw, this is the Playmates version of the Phaser made in the middle '90s that does not have the detachable Type I mini-phaser. The more recent ArtAsylum version that does have detachable mini-phaser will work but would take a lot more modification.

Update:
I thought mine was cool, this bloke in England used the ArtAsylum version and went through some machining and electronic conversion work to turn out the best ST Phaser Laser on the planet! This one kicks!

Last edited:

:gj: there DB.... I like the power output control knob...

BTW... would be nice to see the inside of the build... :whistle:

Jerry

Last edited:
Kool, I'm so integrating a power control button in my next build, who did you set this up?
Give us more info!

England bloke here

Hi guys n gals,

Just found and joined this totally excellent site. I thought I would say hi and thank Dr Brain for his very kind comments on my Phaser conversion. I used a supposed 240mW 532nm diode from a China based pointer. I suspect the PCB has been tweaked to whop up the power output on a peak only basis. But as my circuit uses the type one Phaser that contains the sound effects to drive the laser that doesn't matter; the IC chip I use modulates the laser in time to the variances of the sound effects so that the diode is always kicking in at its optimum. That's why it looks so bright.

I did, however, cheat when I make the video clip. I only have a low spec Canon camera that I used to take the shots and so burnt a bit of ordinary paper to help the camera pick up what I could see. The clip "Spectacular demo of Phaser laser blasts" looks bleedin' amazing but the beam is not that solid in real life. You can easily see it, yes, but without the bit of smoke produced by the burnt paper, it looks like an ordinary lasers beam, sparly and bright. Still pretty damn impressive, though. I keep waiting for night so I can blast it up into the sky and watch the beam disappear up into space.

I wanted the Phaser to look balanced too so designed and built a seven piece brass tail finning to accompany the brass nozzle that holds the laser module. In addition, I designed and fitted a rechargeable power pack into the handle of the weapon with a charge socket fitted into the handles base. Just plug in the Nimh charger and 1 1/2 - 2 hours later blast the bad guys again.

I have one left for sale. There are only two in existence, one a Canadian trekkie bought for £300 and the other is mine. If anyone is interested in making me an offer for it (it's the one shown in the clip and pics attached and the one Dr Brain uploaded above) then go for it. It cost me £150 in precision engineered brass parts and electronic circuitry and the original weapon, of course, so any sensible offer above that will get you the coolest Phaser on the planet.

depth3d

[/IMG][/IMG]

Welcome to the forum, that looks like a very cool build...the camera always does favours for the beam shots, is this your only laser build?

Regards rog8811

Rog,

thanks for the kind welcome. Yes, it's been my only build so far. I am working part-time on a 7 laser assault rifle but the alignment of the beams into a 6mm perfectly parallel energy stream is giving me a real headache. The mirrors required to align the 7 lasers are ridiculously expensive and outside my means. Alker, the fiber optics people (they do all the fiber optics for the Eurofigher jet) are helping me with the problem and are trying to find the right optic for the nanometerage of the diode (532nm) and once they find a cable that will allow the transfer of the beam in a clearly visible stream once it leaves the end of the cable then I am up and running. A lot has to do with the last 100mm of the 7 optic cables being perfectly parallel and the finish of the 1.5mm cables end. It has to be lensed to a precise curveture or the beam will spread rather than remain collimated.

The sale of the Phaser will help to go towards development and component costs.

depth3d

Sounds like quite a project, also sounds like you have the right people on the case though;).
I trust you will share it with us when you get it sorted?

Regards rog8811

Rog

This is the front section of the rifle as far as I have designed it.

The front block holds the laser optic array, video camera zoom and autofocus lens assembly and rest bars. Directly below is a red laser pointer which is used in conjunction with the video camera targeting system. The mid block is vented at the top to dispurse heat and to the rear of the vents and below may be seen the capacitor rotor bolts (CRB's). There are five on either side of the block and these rotate building a reserve of energy on each firing cycle to help maintain a pulse charge to the laser array for the next discharge which allows for rapid fire. Behind the CRB's is the fore grip and above this the amplification chamber and elements. As the 7 lasers pass through the chamber from the diode block (housed inside the Kevlar action) the amplification elements glow bright green, in rapid succession sequentially, in varying patterns, depending on firing mode selected. Front and rear of the chamber elements can be seen two coolant pipes (on either side of the rifle) which are served by a pump which is activated by the firing cycles. Coolant can be seen being pumped through the perspex piping.

Directly behind the fore grip is the charge cell. Contained in each of the two end caps are not only the Nimh holding cells, but also three ultraviolet LEDs which, governed by a monitoring circuit, also housed in the end caps, glow with an intensity relative to the overall amount of charge left in the cells. This means that even though the charge would normally be more than sufficient to illuminate the LEDs when the rifle itself would no longer work, the LEDs will glow less brightly. The LEDs are there primarily to affect the 12 vaseline marbles housed in the holding tubes between the end caps. The molten glass the marbles were made from was irradiated with uranium during manufacture. This imbues them with the property of glowing green under ultraviolet light. So, not only does the weapon look as though it has a glowing atomic power pack but this power pack provides a visual monitor as to the packs state of charge; when the spheres are hardly glowing it's time to put the pack back into its charger, using one of the spares housed in the weapons stock in the interim.

The rest of the weapon is still under development. The action (main body of the weapon above the charge cell, trigger and pistol grip) houses the 7 laser diode block, flip up LCD video targetting screen (which includes infrared night sight so you can see your target in utter darkness but they will be completely unaware of being locked on by you), eccentric weighted servo motor to mimic power ramp build up (shake) on the pulse canon firing mode, rubber weighted solenoid activated on each pulse discharge to mimic recoil, and the numerous printed circuit boards, wiring loom etc. Servos for the coolant pump and CRB's will be housed inside the fore grip and mid block respectively. As with the technology used in the Phaser, the lasers will be driven by the sound effects of each of the firing modes the rifle will be armed with, and this will be hooked up to the amplification chamber elements LEDs so that the elements will react in sequence to the particular blast setting you choose (which is an electronics timing nightmare but an interesting challenge for one who is not an electronics person in the slightest).

This is as far as my R&D has reached. I was made redundant in February and am still unemployed so development pennies are scarce. As the weapon utilises 7 very high power laser diodes, I plan to build in stringent safety features. these will include a coded keypad to power up the weapon to begin with and a voice recognition/activated firing mode selection facility, which the owner will have to spend time training the weapon to recognise his/her voice. This means that in the unlikely event a child gets hold of the weapon and manages to find out the power up code for the key pad, they will still be unable to discharge the weapon (unless they've recorded the owners voice...). For those who fancy stripping the weapon to interfere with the laser modules PCBs to hike up the output power to give a burning laser weapon think again. The laser block houses a high charge capacitor that is linked to three microswitches which are activated on assembly. If disassembly of the block is attempted and the person does not have the correct sequence for the strip down, a ruinous charge will be fired through the diodes and PCBs rendering them completely inoperative.

Things are simply at the R&D stage at the moment as putting anything into physical practice is a financial impossibility. Once the recession recedes I shall, hopefully, be back in work and can put in a little more to the practical side of the project.

Love to hear your views on the above.

depth3d

3601055037_4af4ba4665_o.png

3481588380_bb51405080_b.jpg

3481585972_b925820ca9_b.jpg

3481593168_c33d42c73d_b.jpg

This group of pics are of my personal laser converted Phaser showing detailing of the rear finning, front nozzle and of the emitter glowing white hot during a laser blast. Only those who are serious about their laser weaponry should think about buying it.

depth3d

bhank

WOW! That is awesome, I'd really like to make one like that soon. This may be a bad question lol but I'm still fairly new to electonics period and I was wondering how you made the laser seem to randomly pulse and change power in the demo in the third video....

Ahhh righty... The circuitry took me months of trial and error but essentially I use an 8-pin IC transistor which converts the electronic signal that passes across the sprung contacts of the type II Phaser that pick up the type I Phasers sound effects. The individual sound effects all contain fluctuations in the speed that the sound is generated the vapourise being the fastest and the stun setting the slowest. On the stun, for example, the signal has the longest duration and so the circuit drives the beam for longer periods which means when you pull in and hold the trigger so the sound repeats, the beam will stay on for a period and then exstinguish for a time before hitting the high point of the signal strength again on the sound effect and firing the beam. This is a pretty simplistic explaination but you get the general idea. I think on the video for the stun setting, I was actually releasing the trigger for some reason or other (think it might have been a long day) but if the trigger is held in place then it follows the pattern I've described.

I've attached a video of the Canadians Phaser firing on stun (you can see a plastic clip holding in the trigger for the shot) and you can see the effect I'm referring to.

Hope this answers your question.

depth3d

watch

Last edited:
You are not going for simple on the rifle build are you?:) Kudos for the concept and the work so far. I have seen 2 fiberoptics tails combined into one output, I wonder if there are multiple tail systems out there somewhere?

Regards rog8811

Rog,

Cheers for the encouragement. When you say fiberoptics tails combined into one are you referring to two or more cables simply being "bunched" together? Alker have sent me a couple of samples but the most effective is the single strand 2.2mm shielded cable. The sleeve keeps light leakage to a minimum and seems to work quite well.

depth3d