Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

My Recent YAG Laser Purchase

FrothyChimp

Hello all,

In a different thread I announced I managed to acquire a 35 watt CW Nd:YAG laser systems for $154.33. Well, I went to pick it up yesterday so I thought I would put up some initial pictures for you today. Totals costs to drive to Wisconsin and back to Michigan with it was about $300.00 so my total costs for the unit was about $450.00. At 35 watts the thing was expected to be a beast and it is. The power supply and Q-switch driver in the rack weighs about 500 lbs and the laser rail is about 60 lbs.

I was also given some freebie stuff as the seller is moving out of state and needs to clear out his garage. Check out the pictures.

FREEBIE 1
A set of five 2900 uF 350V capacitors. As configured that is 14500 uF at 350V

FREEBIE 2
A set of high voltage transformers

The crated Nd:YAG system

The laser rail and head with all optics and q-switch

As this project progresses I'll continue to post pictures. Soon you will see the power supply and driver system.

Dr_Evil

Holy capacitors, Batman!

That's a nice looking system. Can't wait to see some videos.

diachi

:eek: And I though the stuff I had was cool , 1x 100uF (400v) capacitor 2x 280uF capacitors (200V)

And I also have some transformers that need reversing ;D

And a 35mW lab laser anda Romisen, I feel so small and insignificant now :(

;D

Cant wait to see some balloon pops and match lights ;D

Diachi

Switch

Cant wait to see some balloon pops and match cuts
There, I fixed it for you. ::)
Well that thing is huge.I understand now why it cost more to pick it up.But it's still a mega-deal. :p What's it being pumped with? I can't wait for the video.And also some beam specs, just to imagine long range possibilities :D
Anyway, I think that with enough fog , the beam should be visible on a filterless camera, I mean, damn.....35W! Put some goggles on :cool:

PharmD4

Wow what a beautiful laser!! Can't wait to see some more pics and videos! Nice work man and enjoy!!!

PharmD4

GooeyGus

Please forgive my lack of knowledge on these solid state lasers, but what exactly is the q-switch and what does it do?

MarioMaster

from what i recall, a Q-switch allows energy to build up inside the lasing cavity until the peak of the standing wave is attained, opening and releasing a much more powerful beam of light

Switch

MarioMaster said:
from what i recall, a Q-switch allows energy to build up inside the lasing cavity until the peak of the standing wave is attained, opening and releasing a much more powerful beam of light
Doesn't that only work with pulsed lasers? :-/

Petrovski

Very nice acquisition. Especially for that price. :eek:

So far I haven't been able to find a >10W laser for a reasonable price. Can't wait to see some cool vids from this laser. ;)

FrothyChimp

I opened the crate today. Here are the pictures of the power supply and q-switch cabinet:

Cooling System:

MarioMaster

got some nice Delta cooling fans in the radiator - that thing isn't gonna be quiet ;D

Switch

So the neighbours might figure out what's causing their tires to suddenly "destruct" ;D
Anyway,that thing is massive! :eek: I can't believe it was only $153.Even the metal in the housing should be worth more than that. ::)

Timbojames

this thing is just really crazy. It is unbelieveable how cheap you can get things at e-bay.
If only I had the knowledge to construct and operate such an laser :(