Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

my old wooden laser

Murudai

Oh man, I thought the laser was actually going to be built OUT of wood, like even the diode and stuff!

I know that's impossible, but that's what would of made it even MORE impressive if that's what you did ;D

MarioMaster

Murudai said:
Oh man, I thought the laser was actually going to be built OUT of wood, like even the diode and stuff!

I know that's impossible, but that's what would of made it even MORE impressive if that's what you did ;D
or even make the host out of wood - that would be amusing :p

(thinks about making a wooden RPL)

lazerguy

MarioMaster said:
[quote author=Murudai link=1219158025/0#1 date=1219158188]Oh man, I thought the laser was actually going to be built OUT of wood, like even the diode and stuff!

I know that's impossible, but that's what would of made it even MORE impressive if that's what you did  ;D
or even make the host out of wood - that would be amusing  :p

(thinks about making a wooden RPL)[/quote]

What a cool thought, to make a wooden laser. :D Imagine, just to drill a hole through a piece of wood, and then you'll shape the case with a lathe or something. :p

Seriously - that wouldn't have been too difficult, hmmm? After all it is a very tempting thought. :)

Murudai

You could make some really fancy looking cases too if you had a lathe.

Though, of course, heatsinking on such a case would be terrible :(

sad_sagi

you might be onto something if you can find a 1" dowel and drill it out... if you can make the hole big enough you can just put a heat sink between the wood and metal, and possibly carve out an end cap of wood and drill a hole in that.................
that would be cool.
except the wood would insulate your heat sink so it would take a while to cool

lazerguy

Oh, never had a thought about the heatsinking... And instead of the current running thorugh the metal case, as in many lasers, you would need to have a wire or something inside instead, that could lead the current from the diode back to the endcap. And the endcap... Well, you would probably have to cheat with a metal one there, as it would be a real pain to make the threads fit on a wooden one. And it would break pretty easily.

I can't stop thinking of this wooden laser thing, it's such a cool thought... :D

rkcstr

You know what would look really cool?

Take a wood case cut to your length you want, then cut a spiral groove in the business end of it. Then make an aluminum heatsink that is cut like a "screw" with a spiral fin that matches the cut of the wood, which would allow you to just screw it into the base. It would probably take a lot of work, but would be functional since the raised portions of the heatsink would allow heat dissipation to air and it would look awesome too :D

I suppose you could also do straight fins that slide into the wood and may be easier to machine?

Chad

rkcstr said:
You know what would look really cool?

Take a wood case cut to your length you want, then cut a spiral groove in the business end of it.  Then make an aluminum heatsink that is cut like a "screw" with a spiral fin that matches the cut of the wood, which would allow you to just screw it into the base.  It would probably take a lot of work, but would be functional since the raised portions of the heatsink would allow heat dissipation to air and it would look awesome too  :D

I suppose you could also do straight fins that slide into the wood and may be easier to machine?
Haha... you guys got me thinking again...

I think I could do this. I've got tons of exotic woods around here... it's be pretty simple to turn them down on the lathe and go from there.

About heatsinking, though... I could get Jay to machine a solid aluminum 'sink that would hold an Aixiz module and driver board... Then I'd have to find out a way to make a tailcap and get electrical connectivity to the + and - terminals... You can't make threads on wood, sorry to say. ;)

OR...
another idea...

I could put a rechargeable 18650/equivalent in there, and have it where you stick a charger cable into it, like a phone, to charge the battery. There's still the issue of connectivity, though. hmm...

Any ideas? now that you've got me thinking, I wanna pursue this... xD