Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My Klingon Disruptor Green Mod

Here we have my Diamond select Klingon Disruptor 532nm 94mW laser mod.

As some of you know from my last thread: http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/help-best-way-remove-these-screw-plugs-new-update-s-mix-90044.html this was not a simple disassembly due to the screw covers. Since it's a klingon disruptor I figure the holes are ok where the covers were (what klingon equipment is suppossed to be clean anyway), if anybody has an idea for a cosmetic fix I'm all ears. Though I don't want to cover the screw holes with anything too hard to remove if i need to open it again.

This is how the diamond Select Klingon Disruptor starts out:
With red led on the front. I got mine off of eBay for $40

The laser module which was listed as a 100mW 532nm module (actual stable 94mW, not bad) from aptlightingworld on eBay for $22 which came with a free driver board:

Also acquired what I thought would be a cool cylindrical finned aluminum heatsink that could be exposed in the front and look good for it off ebay $4.95

Here is how the internal assembly originally looked:

First I cut out the led in front pulled those wires back through the pipe. Then I shaved down the front of the pipe to the inner diameter of the heatsink and the cut the pipe back to a 1/4 length in front of the hood. The heatsink with the module is being held on with the breakable locktite in case I want to reposition it (& cut the front underside of the plastic hood) but it handles nicely now as is.

The diamond select disruptor is a 3xAAA battery device but it has a positive tap at 3v volts which is perfect for my 532nm module. This way I didn't need to add in a 3V voltage regulator to power the module. This did require though I add in another switch just for the laser but this had an additional benefit. I took off the little momentary switch off the laser module driver and put a solid wire in it's place, then I took the little switch and mounted it in the disruptor button itself facing out so that when it is back in place it butts up against the sound switch. This makes it so when I fire it if I push lightly only the laser fires but if I push a little harder I get the sound too, very cool! you can see the two sets of wires coming from the switch area in the pre reassembly pic.

I did leave the sound system exactly as it was (comes with 3 different switchable sounds) and actually connected the led back to it's wires and put it in the main body instead which makes it give a slight red glow when I fire it with sound.

Then I cut a hole for the key switch in the main body (plenty of room) for the laser as a safety precaution.

Here is the mod just before I secured the driver board & led plus put in electrical tape to isolate areas.

Some beam shots from back & front:

The collection of Star Trek mods so far:

I'll be doing two more, a Classic Phaser blue mod & a first Contact red mod. I've been looking for a case that will hold all of them (I have a few canadates). I've also ordered some large Star Trek decals (UFP & Starfleet) to put outside the case. :beer:

I didn't realize how much larger than the others it is. Great job once again, the best one yet!

Alan

IsaacT

Looks fantastic man, good job! I love it when people stick to a plan, and you certainly have. +4 rep!

EDIT: nvm, +5 on that one :)

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Another great addition to your growing Star Trek arsenal, Shadowsix! :D
I have to agree , this is your best yet. Your 2nd beam shot pic is cool, it looks as if it could have come from a laser shoot-out scene in a movie.

Nice work! +rep

Rifter

I don't even like star trek and I want one.

Props man great job on the build.

Thanks very much people!

Yes Alan it had the most internal workspace to work with of any of the models! The most cramped was the next generation phaser.

Nice Job. I have always considered doing a Klingon Disruptor, but just haven't gotten around to it. Nice to see something different.