Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My First version of driver for PS3 blu-ray diode

Hobby

Hi,

The driver use the photo-diode for controling the curent. The size is very small, is ok for casing from aixiz.
The next step is add DC-DC converter for using the small battery (1.5 or 3V).

Thanks
Olivier

Attachments

• small.jpg
    small.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,321

Re: My First version of driver for PS3 blu-ray dio

Hi there,

Welcome to the forums!

could you explain a little more about how your circuit works? is that a PIC? what sort of signal does the photodiode give, and how do you regulate your current based on that?

Looks great though, sounds like you know what you're doing!

Hobby

Hi,

i use real blu-ray driver from IC Haus. Can be order to farnell distributor. (the name is of chip is: "IC-WKM"

The current can be adjusted. The input voltage is 3.6 to 15V and the maximum driving current is 350mA, can be used for blu-ray writer diode.

thanks
Olivier
Ps: Sorry the admin, can not autorized the 10 first post whith links.

:eek:

I was not previously aware that such a chip existed... sounds like it would make everyone's life easier...

How much did it cost? Did it come with that little breakout board with the potentiometer or did you make that yourself?

if you'd like to post a link, just remove the http:// and put spaces in the domain name..

rkcstr

http://www.ichaus.de/product.php?prod=iC-WKM

Can be case grounded, somehow boosts the output voltage with a few external caps and a resistor (?), output up to 350mA (!) only requirement is a photodiode, which I'm not sure all of the diodes we use have them, though.

None of the blu-ray diodes we use have a photodiode   :( (with the exception of maybe the ps3 diode... as I dont remember what it looked like when I took the can off)

And rkcstr... I dont see where it says that it boosts... am I missing something? :-?

rkcstr

GooeyGus said:
None of the blu-ray diodes we use have a photodiode   :( (with the exception of maybe the ps3 diode... as I dont remember what it looked like when I took the can off)

And rkcstr... I dont see where it says that it boosts... am I missing something?  :-?

Maybe just my misreading... but it specifically states use for a violet diode, but says down to 3.5V input voltage... unless that's just the minimum voltage it can operate at, if the diode you're using has a low enough voltage?  I can't seem to find any information in the datasheet about the operation as far as relative input/output voltages, but I did just skim it.

Also, seems like this chip requires a lot of configuration specific to the diode you're using (not to mention, buying the eval board is expensive at $75 and the chips are $11.50 each at Newark.com!), so it may be good for a specific project, but not very versatile for other projects, especially if you don't have a datasheet handy for your diode (which I don't think many of us do).

Hobby

pseudolobster said:
How much did it cost? Did it come with that little breakout board with the potentiometer or did you make that yourself?

The chip price on Farnell is +/- 7 Euro. But the price is 5 Euro if you order directly on manufacturer.
Yes i have created the PCB.

Tomorow i test with the DC-DC converter and CR2 Battery.

Thanks
Olivier

Hobby

rkcstr said:
Maybe just my misreading... but it specifically states use for a violet diode, but says down to 3.5V input voltage... unless that's just the minimum voltage it can operate at, if the diode you're using has a low enough voltage?  I can't seem to find any information in the datasheet about the operation as far as relative input/output voltages, but I did just skim it.
Also, seems like this chip requires a lot of configuration specific to the diode you're using (not to mention, buying the eval board is expensive at $75 and the chips are $11.50 each at Newark.com!), so it may be good for a specific project, but not very versatile for other projects, especially if you don't have a datasheet handy for your diode (which I don't think many of us do).

The voltage is the minimum operate for the IC, because this chip can be used with other laser type (and color).
Newark (Farnell in Europe) is cost expensive distributor.
I use this chip, because i have damaged 3 Laser BR (From PS3) using simple LM317 Voltage regulator.
Now I prefer to put one more money in the controller.

Thanks
Olivier

rkcstr

Its looks like a great controller, but still a little costly and seems to take a lot of consideration for configuring the circuit to your application, so probably not the best for the average DIYer.  The price is probably shst it is because its a highly specialized chip.

Also why sort of minimum operating voltage is there for a violet diode, and what kind of efficiency?