Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My first spirograph!

K

kingzilla

Well from all the inspiration from other threads, I decided to build my own spirograph. After harvesting parts from old toys, and maybe a hour of work, I built one. Here is a picture and video of it. Not quite sure how to add speed control to the motors, all the potentiometers I have, had to great a resistance and the motor was not turning at all. :-? Tell me what you think! :D

Here is the link for my video:

http://www.sawtalhurriyah.com/My Spirograph.avi

ak000082-47mb3x7ql.jpg

Good fun isn't it? I love the blue :)

About the variable resistors, I am surprised that the motor didn't run with it set at one end or the other???? It will turn off with a very small movement of the wiper if the pot resistance is too high but at one end it should be like connecting with a wire.

Regards rog8811

K

kingzilla

I think I did something wrong with the resistors. :-[ Now they don't work work at all. Must have them hooked up wrong or something. What new affect does independently varying the motors speeds do? :-?

Did you connect the middle pin on the resistor to the battery and one of the others to the motor? The only way you can do it wrong is to connect one outside pin to the battery and the other outside one to the motor, in this case the wiper does nothing and you will have just the full resistance of the pot and the motor will not run.
Regards rog8811

What new affect does independently varying the motors speeds do?
Look for my movie posted elsewhere on the forum...the metacafe one..if you notice as I twist the projector in my hand the load changes on the motors and the speeds change, you will see how the display changes at the same time.
It has the best effect just varying one of the motors and of course if you turn one motor off completely you get the tunnel effect:)

I hope that helps

Regards rog8811

K

kingzilla

Here is the video in .wmv format, sounds like some people were having trouble viewing it. :)

Attachments

• My_Spirograph.wmv
    2.1 MB · Views: 40