Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My first RIFLE 445nm 1W Blue Laser

I want your opinion on this laser
scaled.php

scaled.php

ImageShack Album - 9 images
RIFLE 445nm 1W Focusable Burning Blue Laser - YouTube :lasergun:

Last edited:

rhd

I have a serious question about that chart. It says that the test instrument is: LaserBee 2.5W USB

In the power certificate chart, it seems to hit maximum power (1174mW) at some point between 15 and 20 seconds (noting that they actually started the laser a few seconds in).

Now, either:

1) My LPM is damaged.
2) My LPM is old, and the newer LaserBee 2.5W USB LPMs are better.
or
3) Something else weird is going on here.

Because, my LaserBee 2.5W USB definitely DOES NOT have a sub-20-second response time. I'm generally at about 40 seconds.

Last edited:
I *SEEM TO POSSIBLY remember seeing a post that Max made saying he first uses the laser in question on the LPM head until it gets up to the range where the laser is expected to perform at. Then he lets the laser cool down as needed by the duty cycle, then he restarts the logging program and starts recording as soon as the duty cycle cool down is done. So the chart has a short lead in tail and the result is really the stabilized output level.

EDIT:
After going back in and searching for what I remember reading, I cannot find it. So, I am retracting my statement until it is proven. I try my best to not propagate false or incorrect information and am glad to correct my own errors when pointed out.

Last edited:

rhd

I remember seeing a post that Max made saying he first uses the laser in question on the LPM head until it gets up to the range where the laser is expected to perform at. Then he lets the laser cool down as needed by the duty cycle, then he restarts the logging program and starts recording as soon as the duty cycle cool down is done. So the chart has a short lead in tail and the result is really the stabilized output level.

That doesn't make sense. If that were the case, then you wouldn't expect to see the power starting at 0.

The LPM head is either at 0 or it's not. But it can't be "at 0 with memory of a previous test". IE, if it's at 0, it's going to take a specific response time to reach a specific power, and that amount of time will not be influenced by tests that came prior to the LPM dropping back to 0. I mean, unless I'm totally backwards in my understanding of how TEC-based LPMs work.

Attachments

• dsc0276kr.jpg
    dsc0276kr.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 939
Last edited:
Don't take my word as gospel on it, I never understood it either. I simply remember reading a post about it and thinking "that's odd". Unfortunately any relevent search terms return dozens of posts -_-.

Edit - I'm starting to doubt my own memory on it now - editing original post.

Last edited:

rhd

Don't take my word as gospel on it, I never understood it either. I simply remember reading a post about it and thinking "that's odd". Unfortunately any relevent search terms return dozens of posts -_-.

I hope Jerry notices this thread, because he's the authority on this.

UM..why does it say "Not applicable for 445nm laser? on the sheet where the numbers reflect the readings for a 445nm laser? :thinking:

That's the side of the page that would have a graph for "IR FILTER ADDED".

I went back and searched through about 70 posts about Lazerer. I can't find what I remember reading, so I'm going to retract my statement until proven otherwise (by editing the post containing it). I'm sure it will still be visible in RHD's quote, so shouldn't be too confusing for a reader.

I do hope Jerry can come and clear it up, too.

rhd

Ok, I'm not crazy, and it's not just that my LaserBee 2.5W USB is different. ~45 seconds IS the amount of time that LPM should be expected to require in order to take a stabilized measurement. From here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/f...ta-logging-stock-now-61644-23.html#post999174

This LaserBee 2.5W USB is a budget LPM like our LaserBee A here...
http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-5pc-new-2watt-laserbee-laser-power-meter-68597.html

and uses a larger less expensive and less sensitive Thermopile Sensor
just like another budget LPM. Because of that lower cost Sensor a
1000mW reading will stabilize in ~40-50 seconds.

So - something is up with that Lazerer.com "power certificate" photo, because it's clearly appearing to get a "stable" reading in 15-20 seconds.

The power certificate for my rifle says it reached stable at 17seconds in. Can you use a laserbee LPM with an upgraded sensor?

My cert says only that a "Laserbee 2.5W USB LPM" was used.

Last edited:

rhd

The power certificate for my rifle says it reached stable at 17seconds in. Can you use a laserbee LPM with an upgraded sensor?

My cert says only that a "Laserbee 2.5W USB LPM" was used.

Alright - I'll give Jerry a heads-up. Probably makes the most sense for him to jump in here :)

Sorry guys... I have a regular day schedule... while you guys
are here in the wee hours I'm catching some ZZZzzs.

Not sure what the OP's question is....:thinking:
Is he questioning the accuracy of the Test Certificate that Max
supplied...:thinking:
Did he test his Laser on another LPM...:thinking:
If so which LPM...:thinking:

The correct usage of the budget LaserBee 2.5W USB is clearly
outlined in the supplied User Instructions.

Here is a Certificate I received when I ordered my Laser from
Max... If you look closely the test ran for 45 seconds and the
peak as I can see hit Maximum at ~35 seconds.
I tested that Laser (like I wouldn't) with our Newport LPM and
the results were even a bit higher...

I know that we specify the Response time as 40-50 seconds
but it has been noted that some Sensors are even a bit faster.
We are not WL and won't over spec our LPMs. The specs have
an inherent variation factor built in.

That being said... the chart in the OP looks fine to me...
It actually looks like it hit Maximum reading on the chart at about
25 seconds... just a bit faster than we have tested sensors.

If max waited 30 seconds after the previous reading hit Zero
then the reading will be accurate.
It is important to wait the additional 30 seconds for the Firmware
to take the lowest readings (negative readings in the firmware) of
the now warmed up Thermopile head.
For 1st generation LB-USB LPMs the Red button should then be
pressed just before starting the test session as explained in the
User Instructions.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Jerry

Attachments