Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My first red burner w/pictures

I finally have my first red burner. I used the dorcy jr. for the host and Kenom's guide was a great help along with everything else on the forum. I have some pictures I'll post of my burner. It lights matches, pops baloons(17 feet so far) and burns paper no problem. I made a 1 inch dia. alum. heatsink for my housing that has a sleeve that fits inside down of the dorcy's head a 1/2 in. The housing and heatsink is held in place by a 4-40 screw. Killed one diode in the process but the second one is still going. I tested it at about 260ma's. and am using 5 ohm resistor and a cap. Hopefully I tested it right because I'm still new to this and electronics.
here are my pictures

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 89

and again
sorry, i wanted to post this all in one post but it wouldn't let me I think because i'm not at 20 posts yet.

Attachments

• 4_004.jpg
    4_004.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 80
thanks and yes it is senkats. I measured it around 260 ma's. I just edited the top post and put it in there because i didnt think someone would have look that quickly. I used a cheap harbor freight meter at first and didnt trust it so i borrowed my dad fluke meter. Good thing because the cheap meter was measuring 100 or more ma's higher.

Yeah I just got it a few weeks ago and my first one from him I got was back in december, not that it matters because that one is dead. I might check the numbers first even though it will most likely be the bad batch. Thanks for the heads up on that one.

Gazoo

I like the way you did the heatsinking...very nice job... :)

I learned the hard way the importance of heatsinking. Thats why i recently ordered one of Jayrobs. Nice work on yours!

You should really put a proper driver in that for some sort of lifetime... if you don't think you can manage making one small enough, PM me as I make custom circuits for things like this on the cheap :)

Lee

I managed to get my heatsink into the cap of the Dorcy ;D

Attachments

• IMG_1118_smaller.JPG
    IMG_1118_smaller.JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 88