Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My first pointer, 150mw green is acting funny

ronox

hello,

I recently made a bulk order for some 70mw green modules, and the seller was kind enough to add a 150mw pointer for free, though i checked and they sell it for about $18, but still im happy i got it. best of all, its strong enough to pop balloons at close range, and because of the bad divergeance (dot grows to 1m wide at 500m or so), my parents aprove of it, since it wouldnt be able to bring down a plane, though im not going to be irrisponsible with it.

obviously its a cheap one, when i press lightly on it, so the output is very weak, i get a red dot, which indicates no IR filters. this brings me onto my main concern.

the laser has varying outputs depending on how i am pressing the button, im not sure if this is intentional or not.

its advertised as a standard pointer, and nothing else, it looks like your typical cheap pen laser pointer.

i ask, is it normal for the laser to take a while to output at maximum power?
and is the need to get the pointer to work at full power by jostiling the button, intentionally built that way, or a flawed design? when the battery is full, i can adjust the output, but when it gets a bit lower, its just on or off.

im not complaining, i love this laser, but it would put my mind at ease if i knew exactly what was going on.
thanks

I have a cheap green. And it does take a second or so to come to full power.
I remember reading here on another thread that it is because the crystals in it have to come up to temp.
As far as the fluctuating thing with the switch . That sounds like a flaw to me. I have three cheap pen type lasers and none of them do that.

Sounds like normal cheapy green laser action to me.

But what I want to know is... why did you place a bulk order of 70mW green modules if you don't know how your standard 150mW (probably more than 70mW anyway lol) green module works? o.o What are you doing buying in bulk when your mom still has to "approve" of what you do? o.o

I'm buying just the 150mw modules in the $55-65 range & $100 for 200mw.
If those are putting out a real 150mw for $18 I'll take a dozen.
Where you buy them?

Bad switch contacts ....it`ll get worse aswell because your probably having to press it harder than normal ....either send it back for replacement or boot up ur solder station .

scott

ronox

i get them off alibaba . the seller is called jack hao fashion online. however on alibaba, you can get much stronger for much less.

also, i cant send it back when it was free. plus theres a good chance it would be seized when i send it out.