Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My first laser?

Hi, I'm new to the forums and have been looking around a lot to see great information that will help me on my first laser. Anyways, my question is what would be a first nice laser I could build with around $50? All suggestions are welcome.

A list of materials would also be nice. :D

Last edited:

lets see...
pre installed diode @modwerx (add is blelow thread) or hightechdealz ~$20
rckstr driver ~13 Micro-Drive V3 adjustable driver (assembled) - $13.00 : rkcstr.com, Micro-Drive and laser diode electronics
batteries ~5-10 (on both of those sites)
charger~15 (on both of those sites)
switches ~2-3
total ~54

If you want you can use an altoid tin as a host and a small cube of aluminum as a heat sink.
hope this helps :beer:
toogoofy

EDIT: both sites have a red 20x and a Phr pre installed.
the difference is that the red can use higher powers like 200-250 mw but doesn't really affect lighter color things and is very effective on dark stuff.
but the phr will have less power 100-150mw but will be better at burning light things but will take longer for darker things

Last edited:
lets see...
pre installed diode @modwerx (add is blelow thread) or hightechdealz ~$20
rckstr driver ~13 Micro-Drive V3 adjustable driver (assembled) - $13.00 : rkcstr.com, Micro-Drive and laser diode electronics
batteries ~5-10 (on both of those sites)
charger~15 (on both of those sites)
switches ~2-3
total ~54

If you want you can use an altoid tin as a host and a small cube of aluminum as a heat sink.
hope this helps :beer:
toogoofy

EDIT: both sites have a red 20x and a Phr pre installed.
the difference is that the red can use higher powers like 200-250 mw but doesn't really affect lighter color things and is very effective on dark stuff.
but the phr will have less power 100-150mw but will be better at burning light things but will take longer for darker things

Wow thanks! I'll be sure to check this out. :thanks:

No prob:p
Hopefully ill post some pics and a video of mine in a few days :bumpit:
Oh yeah don't forget the goggles dragon lasers are good or cni butdont get the $15 one if you value your eye!

Well here is te deelio.
9- will have enough power fo it ad te drive, BUT they are bad for giving current. I thin iread smwhere that they can get up to 300ma but I could be wrong.

you may want to search for info on this diode ( diode complication thread could be a start) to find the specs for this diode.:san:

this could make a very col laser:wave:

EDIT: if you use 7.2v it would probably be enough esp. If you used a boost driver (flex drive) you might be able to get away with less.

Last edited:
the problem with 9v's are that they begin to drop in power after originally powering the diode, so after a few minutes ur diode will be getting hardly any power

with a boost driver 7.2 volts will obviously be enough, its meant to boost the voltage so u could use something like 3v and it would be enough. without a boost driver (with a DDL) 7.2v would still be enough