Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My First Laser Attempt, Double Check Me

Ok, I'm going to try and build a laser using a 405nm Violet Laser Diode, an Aixiz Module and a driver of course...I was wondering if this parts list is acceptable, and i have another question reguarding one of the parts.

Micro-Drive V3 Adjustable Driver

Micro-Drive V3 adjustable driver (assembled) - $13.00 : rkcstr.com, Micro-Drive and laser diode electronics

I'm sort of confused by the variable current, Do you select it or does it do it automatically, and if you have to do it, how do u know how much u need to current to allow

Aixiz Diode Housing Module (x2)
Aixiz Diode Housing Module 2 Pack ! [Aixiz Diode Module Housing 2 Pac] - $10.49 : StoneTek Electronics, Your Laser Parts Store

and now, The hard part, Should I get a sled with the diode or settle for the actual diode already removed from the sled for 3 more dollars.

The DVD Sled
PHR-803T HD-DVD laser lens assmebly with violet laser diode [PHR-803T] - $10.49 : Modwerx Shop, Great products at great prices!

The Diode

405nm Violet burning laser diode - $13.99 : Modwerx Shop, Great products at great prices!

Thanks for your input and let me know if these parts are compatible (99.9% sure they are xD)

Last edited:

cust11

Ok, I'm going to try and build a laser using a 405nm Violet Laser Diode, an Aixiz Module and a driver of course...I was wondering if this parts list is acceptable, and i have another question reguarding one of the parts.

Micro-Drive V3 Adjustable Driver
Micro-Drive V3 adjustable driver (assembled) - $13.00 : rkcstr.com, Micro-Drive and laser diode electronics
Looks good. Make sure to double check your current with a dummy load.
Aixiz Diode Housing Module (x2)
Aixiz Diode Housing Module 2 Pack ! [Aixiz Diode Module Housing 2 Pac] - $10.49 : StoneTek Electronics, Your Laser Parts Store
Looks good.
and now, The hard part, Should I get a sled with the diode or settle for the actual diode already removed from the sled for 3 more dollars.
That depends! If you are comfortable extracting the diode yourself go that route. Otherwise, buy it already removed. Note.. If you buy the PHR-803T sled it has an IR diode in it too which is good practice breaking the heatsink and desolding the small PCB
The DVD Sled
PHR-803T HD-DVD laser lens assmebly with violet laser diode [PHR-803T] - $10.49 : Modwerx Shop, Great products at great prices!

The Diode
405nm Violet burning laser diode - $13.99 : Modwerx Shop, Great products at great prices!

Thanks for your input and let me know if these parts are compatible (99.9% sure they are xD)

The prices look fine. Parts all check out. Do you plan to put this in a pen style or a lab style housing?

-Mike

I was looking at Lab but i couldn't find any Pen Style Housings, Do you know a website that Pen type Housing, or do i have to stick it in a stupid flashlight lol

Last edited:

cust11

I was looking at Lab but i couldn't find any Pen Style Housings, Do you know a website that Pen type Housing, or do i have to stick it in a stupid flashlight lol

There are quite a few members on the board that do custom heatsinks/builds Jayrob is the first that comes to mind. Quite a few of his offers are in his signature. (just search his name). The other builds he offers are in the B/S/T section. iirc he also does custom machine work for a price, but he may not do that any longer. Hope this answers your question.

-Mike

If you want to try your hand at "harvesting" your diode yourself, the PHR is a good choice - it's rather easy to remove from sled & heatsink. Check this step-by-step instruction (I'm sure there are lots more). Also the PHR sled has another diode, a combined red/IR one, which makes a good practice diode. Don't give it more than about 15mA or so.

You have to select the current by adjusting a potentiometer (pot for short) on the driver, using a test load - you can buy that as well or build your own. For the PHR, use 90-100mA for long life or 120 for high output (in a pen, maybe less).

Last edited:
Would I need to get a heatsink or would the current build be ok. And Do i need some sort of lens or something in order to focus the laser?

cust11

Would I need to get a heatsink or would the current build be ok. And Do i need some sort of lens or something in order to focus the laser?

The AixiZ module comes with an acrylic lens which is ALRIGHT for a low power build 5-120mW. Once you start reaching higher power levels it is suggested that you switch it to a glass lens. Which again can be purchased from quite a few members/sites. A heatsink is strongly suggested but not 100% needed. If you choose to run w/o a heatsink you will need a 10-20% duty cycle. Most of the hosts sold by our members act as a heatsink! Add some thermal compound and you should be set. Any more questions?? don't be afraid to ask.

-Mike

I'd go with getting the entire sled as the PHR 803T is one of the easiest harvests ever, plus you get a full sled of optics.

Also, go with the aixiz acrylic lens as their glass one cuts down on the transmission of 405nm light.

The Aixiz housing serves as a mini-heatsink. Since the PHR is relatively low-power, you can get by a long time without an extra heatsink. I run my PHR at 120mA and even after minutes the housing is just warm.

Generally when buying from members here on the forum, the harvesting fee is just that, a fee for the extra step of harvesting. You'll get the main diode plus the remaining sled with all optics and other diodes.

The most difficult part of harvesting is de-soldering the ribbon cable. There are two methods:

1. the solder-blob method: grab the ribbon cable with tweezers (the diode should still be in the heatsink); put a blob of molten solder on the tip of your soldering iron; touch that to the diode pins so that the solder on all of them melts; pull the cable away.

2. the sidecutter method: nibble away at the cable & solder with a very small sidecutter until the pins are free (considered the best method by the experts here as there is no danger of heat damage).

cust11

This is the test load. You put it in place of the diode and attach the DMM as shown. Set to mV. After supplying power to the driver, turn the potentiometer (pot) left/right to reach your desired current. The 1 ohm resistor does the math for you and convers the mV to mA. Like dr-ebert mentioned.. running at 120mA is a safe zone and really wont harm your diode.

-Mike

Attachments

• test load01.jpg
    test load01.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 128
Whats the maximum mW you would recommend with respect to the lifetime of the laser, Does anyone have any tips about this?

Oh and I plan on using the Pailide housing/heatsink
FS: Pailide Laser Kit - LOW Prices! - CandlePowerForums

So instead of a micro-drive v3 i'd be using the FlexDrive v4

And the maker of the Pailide Kit says he will set up the mA required if you tell him what you want...Problem is...not exactly sure since i don't have the diode, in Modwerx is says in the specs that it gives a safe range for mA, Is it hard to set the mA on the FlexDrive?

And can i buy a test load as an alternative to building one (assuming i even need one)

Last edited:
Looks like a nice project, mohrenberg has a very good reputation here. You'll need a diode and Aixiz housing in addition. Go for it!

The current depends on the diode you're using. My values (which I've decided upon after reading many postings and which seems to be a good consensus for getting both good power and good lifetime):

PHR: 120mA
LPC: 420mA

Once I'll build something around my GGW, I'll run it at 200mA.

Yes, you can buy test loads as well, check in the B/S/T section. But building one yourself is very easy and cheap. Setting the current just means turning a pot (which requires a light, careful touch); but the FlexDrive has several current range settings, and (re-)setting this range requires solder activity on SMD components - for this you need the proper fine-tipped soldering iron and the ability to do very delicate work.

Ah so I'll just have Mohrenberg set it to a suitable range then, Thank you for your information

Good idea. but guess what, I think someone else established that in the previous posts.

Last edited:
This is quite embaressing but I'm a complete noob at laser builds, but I want to build one. What components should be on my shopping list? What pitfalls should I be aware of during my build?
I discovered this website totally by accident, and what a find it was!

thanks for any help in advance