Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

my first high powered laser. which one?

Hi, i recently bought a 30mW green laser module from o-like and now i'd like to get something a little (or a lot) more powerful. Preferably i would like to get a blue or blue-violet laser because i'm bored of the green laser. I also want something that I will be able to see the beam with more easily than my 30mW green laser (the green one requires very dark conditions to see the beam). Also, i want it to be able to burn things, like lighting matches. And finally, i don't have that much money to spend. I think my limit would be around $60.

I'm willing to pay $59 for this one from o-like: New Style focusable blu-ray pen 80mW£­>405nm blue-violet laser£­>Laser&lighting products£­>www.0-like.com But i'm unsure if 80mW will do what i want. Will it fit all my qualifications? Also, will i have to wear googles when using it, because i would rather be able to use it without wearing googles.

If the above laser won't fit my qualifications, or there is a cheaper alternative, then that would be great. But i dont want to have to build the driver for the laser. I'm horrible at soldering (plus i'm away at college and my soldering iron is at home). I would be open to buying a module and some housing for it if you think that would be cheaper.

Thanks.

I'd go for at least 100mW of any color to do what you're looking for.. 80mW isn't too bad, but for true burning power, 100mW is pretty much the minimum.

would it be safe to use a 100mW without googles? any ideas where i can find good prices on 100mW lasers? preferably blu-ray

I wouldn't recommend using anything over 50mW without goggles, myself.. As far as getting decent prices on 100mW blu-rays, try here in the buy/sell/trade section of the forum, also I believe DealExtreme.com sells some.. o-like also sells one here.

Check the post above your last post.. I don't recommend using ANY laser over 50mW without goggles.

yeah, sorry i made that post before i read yours. what can a laser do to your eyes if i'm not using it for long periods of time? obviously i'm not looking directly into the beam, but can it still damage my eyes just by looking at not into the beam?

While looking at the spot on a wall or diffuse surface is not harmful (unless you're talking about HUGE power), there is always the risk of the beam accidentally entering your eyes. It could be reflected off a mirror, a window, a drinking glass, a vase, a wristwatch, a shiny rock, etc., etc. Anything reflective presents a hazard, and there is no way to guarantee that the beam will NEVER under ANY circumstances get bounced back into your eyes.

Your eyes are valuable and you only get two. Buying a pair of goggles is a small price to pay to save your vision.

Last edited:
understood. i dont really wanna pay for the 100mW blu-ray. you dont think the 80mW would light a match or burn anything? i dont care if it would take 10 or 15 seconds to burn.

You could most likely light a match after a few seconds with an 80mW blu-ray, yes. It should be sufficient.

D

Deleted member 8382

no violet or red laser will be brighter than your 30mW green laser. If you still want another color then go for a bluray ;)

hmmm, do you think a 50mW laser would light a match and burn stuff? for example this one: Rayfoss

if yes, could you recommend some good 50mW lasers preferably blue-violet/blu-ray

ok what i think i'm gonna do is just go for a more high powered green laser than my 30mW. i just have one more question. if i was to buy a module from o-like, what kind of housing should i get for it. i want to know if it'll be cheaper to just get the $75 one thats already built than to pay for the module and housing. thanks

i also want to get housing for my 30mW module that i already have

EDIT: i could also get this one from rayfoss: http://www.rayfoss.com/pro_info.asp?id=1572

Last edited:

aXit

Rayfoss

That's a nice host for green laser modules, but you'll have to use lithium primaries.

I like this host from dX it's SKU 20122 and can use one single 3.0 volt CR-123 or you can screw on the supplyed extention tube and use two regular 1.5volt AA type cells.
DealExtreme: Search for 20122 (1 products in 1 categories)
Here is a picture of it, it's the second one from the right shown here in it's CR-123 configuration you just unscrew the tail clicky siwitch and screw on the ext tube and put in two AA's and replace the clicky.
29xalvo.jpg

happy building....
Pyro... :eg:

are there any hosts that i could use with AA or AAA, i dont wanna have to pay for lithium batteires and a charger as well. thanks

Last edited: