Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My first gas portable - the "PortaHeNe"

rhd

The "PortaHeNe"

Thanks in large part to Sigurthr, I was treated this week to a mailbox containing a gorgeous 5-inch HeNe tube. As my first gas laser, I decided that I needed to give it a stylish home. None of this "put the tube in a box and play with it every 3 months". I wanted the device to be front and center, as a conversation piece, staring at dinner guests from the middle of the dining room table, and occasionally shocking them if they ignored my "don't touch the lasers" directive.

Thus was born the "PortaHeNe". Not quite a pocket pointer, and with it's heavy half-inch aluminum base, perhaps not so portable either. But it's gorgeous, and I don't think I'll ever get tired of this build :)

attachment.php

The guts are nothing too elaborate:
- 4x 1,200mAh LiPo packs in series.
- The power enters a control box with a keyswitch
- From there it runs through a 1085-based 12V regulator (imagine that, voltage regulators used to regulate VOLTAGE for once!)
- Out of the control box, the power enters a 12V JDSU HeNe PSU that I picked up on eBay
- From the HeNe's PSU, the HV then powers the gorgeous 5-inch tube.

Here's a video of it in action:
"PortaHeNe" - YouTube

Thanks Sigurthr for all your help!

Attachments

• PortaHeNe.jpg
    PortaHeNe.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 2,176
Last edited:

Haha, RHD, that is pretty freaking awesome. I am SO glad these tubes went to a loving home where they will be adored! It was my pleasure, and I'm VERY happy with the entire event (negotiations, sales, conversations, feedback, resulting build, etc). You made me proud to sell them to you!

Now do remember to warn those guests from time to time lest they may not return, hehe.

Lase

That looks awesome!

Makes me pine for mine to arrive :(

+1 to you sir :beer:

Lase

... and occasionally shocking them if they ignored my "don't touch the lasers" directive....
I'd really recommend to get some shielding for the high voltage, it probably won't be lethal but it does really bite, even after it's turned off.

rhd

I'd really recommend to get some shielding for the high voltage, it probably won't be lethal but it does really bite, even after it's turned off.

I'm hoping Flaminpyro will tell me where he gets his acrylic cases for the WFTM.

Looks nice! Congratulations on your first gas laser! You'll get used to the zap from those...although it's still not that much fun.;)

And remember... they bite for a while even after
they are off...

Jerry

This is new and BEAUTIFUL! I was really hoping for a legitimate portable build... maybe that will come at some point in the future ;) Already thinking of how to do it!

vk2fro

A 10K 1W resistor on insulated probes will take care of any residual zap after the supply has been switched off, and isnt mean to the power supplies innards.

A final addition of an acrylic box over it to protect innocent bystanders and it'll be a winner (it still is - nice design!)

Last edited:
Great laser! ... hey what a about a portable CO2 handheld using those sealed CO2 laser tubes??? I'm itching to try building one myself...

rhd

A final addition of an acrylic box over it to protect innocent bystanders and it'll be a winner (it still is - nice design!)

I would LOVE to add this. Any chance you know where such a thing could be sourced?

LaZeRz

Why not build your own? :)

Some 7mm thick or so acrylic and a few screws :)