Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My first DIY laser.

Kulhu

Its a 808nm 300mW laser.

I am running it at 3.3ohms so that is less that the 2.8 ohms max so its less than 300mW mainly to increase duty cycle. I am using a standard aixiz module with a LM317 driver. Its output is a square 1 cm by 1 cm dot at 6 feet. Im going to move on to other diodes like the 445, this was practice.

PICS

**2 meters away, this is the 1cm by 1cm dot.

Feels good man.

udanis

Have to get started somehow. 300mW ir is a scary way to get stared though. Good Job just remember to be safe!

Kulhu

Have to get started somehow. 300mW ir is a scary way to get stared though. Good Job just remember to be safe!

Yes, its brighter than my 1mw 650nm, i removed the crystals from a 5mW greenie and its doesnt come close.

Congrats on your 1st successful laze!
I've been playing with much lower mw's still contemplating on my host, heat sink & driver finalization.
I've always read 808nm is beyond the visible spectrum and that bothers me till I have more experience with lasers. I've avoided the great ebay deals on them and even my CD burner sleds.
You can't see the dot as in the pic without the camera can you?
300mw of IR should be treated with care as the eye has no blink response to that frequency. I hope you have safety glasses rated for this and are using them.

Still, congrats on your start and be safe.