Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My first creation

I am trying to make my first laser for just some fun around the house. It is going to be a torch laser. It is taking me some time to sort through this mass amount of threads but it is also really fun. I'm thinking it needs to be 405nm or 445nm violet laser and I would like it to be at least 400mw. Other than this I'm not really sure where to go. I'm sure some of you more experienced laser enthusiasts know immediately what and where I can find these parts. If you guys could fill in the blanks on which to buy of diodes, drivers, battery's housings, lens, a good place to buy all these things, some instruction or even at the very least some links to the proper threds, I would be forever in your debt.

Cheers,
Graham J. Francis

You probably want a 445nm. I have a 1.8W 445nm laser and it's very powerful. You will need safety glasses no doubt. Check out DTR's laser shop. He's got what you need.

EDIT: Also if you need any help what so ever feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
safety. you need safety. lots of safety. it seems you have done NO work. "hey guys ive been searching but i cant find anything about hosts, drivers, lenses, etc". with this we are basically building it for you. more searching is required.

SKeeZ

FlutterPie summed it up, it looks like you have not come to a conclusion through your searching through the threads. I would agree that you would want a 445nm laser, again check out DTR's for diodes.

Thanks! This is a great place to start! Don't worry cantthinkofone I have built a couple other low powered lasers from some old re-writable disc drives I acquired. Besides that i have built many robots from scratch from many $100 bots to a couple in upwards of $20,000. I am very safe and experienced, I just have never done a real mans laser before. I will be back soon with more question! Thanks a ton guys!

you cant be safe with a laser. what do you mean low powered? you do know you can be permanently blinded? low powered lasers dont make you skilled or safe.

Ok random concerned citizen I have been planning on buying goggles as well as these parts. Instead of just being hostile maybe you could give me some advice or a video or article on laser safty.

didnt mean to be hostile its just too many roll through these parts not caring for safety, and to top it off jack asses like them have stirred the hornets nest (FDA) giving us concern. got to Safety And Legal part of this forum and read the 1w blue to the eye thread. thatll give you enough.

Last edited:
Well after doing more research i am convinced what I wanted was too powerful and that bigger is not always better. I am trying to create a laser to keep in my pocket that i can light a pipe with. I don't want it to barely light it but i don't want too much overkill either. What wavelength and power would you recommend? is there a certain combination of power and wavelength that would light a bowl but not hurt an eye by reflection?

Last edited:
you would need goggles no matter what laser you get as the power would need to be high. lighters work better for this purpose. you do mean a smocking pipe right?

Yes a smoking pipe and goggles would still be used by anyone in the room. I have used a lighter for years and im ready to stop inhaling butane. A laser is the purest way to smoke to get the true taste of the herb. I am assuming that 445nm is still the way to go but what would be the proper wattage?

I REALLY don't like the idea of people putting lasers near their face. Especially Class 4 lasers. Its just not safe. However I feel if we refuse to help. You're just going to do it anyway.

SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY! I cant repeat it enough. If you're going to do something like this. I cant stress enough how important safety is. Get yourself a pair of wraparound/goggle style glasses at OD4+ rated for the wavelength you buy. These should do the trick.

Safety

Realisticly you're going to want at least 1W of power (doesn't matter if its 405, 532 or 445). It can be done with less but the lower the power, the longer its going to take for you to get your tobacco lit.

Enjoy, and stay safe. Please?
Jeff

Are these acceptable:
405nm,450nm,473nm,532nm laser safety goggles [OLGLG532] - $19.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce
For this laser?
Power Rock 400mW blu-ray 405nm laser torch/adjustable/waterproof [OL-405T-400] - $89.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce
Or is this better?
Tactical Real 1W 445nm Blue laser torch /waterproof /focusable [OL-445-T-1.0] - $125.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce
Or are both of these crap?
Thanks for the advice and your concern! It was a good mesh of safety and info!

Tmack

Just get a 1w spartan from dragon lasers. Small sleek and will light it in a hurry . I don't think a handmade laser would be as sleek as you need. Maybe a c6 m140 1w or so. I know where your coming from with just wanting a cool way to light your pipe. But you will be seeing spots until you see nothing! Get a vaporizer! With whatever you choose to smoke it's the way to go.

whats your location? not to be "that guy" but depending where you are located the "herb" your smoking could be illegal. If the FDA checks this forum whats to say others dont? we shouldnt really condone this if its risky. just saying. and i dont like the idea of lasers near your face. just go with Tmacks suggestion of a vaporizer.