Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

my first build , your opinion ?

its pretty mess in the inside , just wanted to know the opinions , I am a newbie and this is my first build , burned more than 30 laser-diodes before that was done
dvd-burner laser diode

Attachments

• 12292011079.jpg
    12292011079.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 230
  • 12292011080.jpg
    12292011080.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 211

Everyone has to start somewhere. Good job. How did you go through 30 diodes? :thinking:

Depending on how much power you're giving the diode that aixiz module will not be enough heat sinking and the diode will burn out.

its pretty mess in the inside , just wanted to know the opinions , I am a newbie and this is my first build , burned more than 30 laser-diodes before that was done
dvd-burner laser diode

You know you've done a good job when that coherent
beam pokes its head out of the aperture....
Well done....:gj:

Jerry

thank you guys , about the heat sinking , I am living in a place where its hard to find much of the stuff u need , anyhow I am running it under 350 MA at max
but I am planing to use some aluminum sheet or box where I can place that axis heat sink inside and then run it on 500 mA

DrSid

You can always use computer heatsink and drill hole into it.

if it lases its a accomplishment in my book who cares if its pretty its a laser :p

You can always use computer heatsink and drill hole into it.

please i would like to learn more , would that be the best heat sink ? and what part of computer are you talking about ? you mean the cpu ?
would this method make me able to run it at it maximum power ?

Everyone has to start somewhere. Good job. How did you go through 30 diodes? :thinking:

Depending on how much power you're giving the diode that aixiz module will not be enough heat sinking and the diode will burn out.

actually I am really newbie with electronics , i have only taken a course in electronics in my university , (computer engineering ) , so i had some trouble making the circuit and reading the measurment , but what burned most of my diode was the soldering part , so i discovered a new method where I can connect it perfectly and fixedly

please i would like to learn more , would that be the best heat sink ? and what part of computer are you talking about ? you mean the cpu ?
would this method make me able to run it at it maximum power ?

If you open up a dead computer, there should be a square heatsink (2 or 3 inches across) on a board, on a large chip that runs the entire computer.
If you don't know what I'm talking about, watch this-
DIY: Hack a Dead Computer into a Burning Laser! - YouTube
With proper heatsinking, you could run this laser at higher than 400ma and get about 250mW output, and keep the laser on without following a duty cycle.

Last edited:
I use these heatsinks for my DIY builds.

41ugEoxTLdL._AA300_.jpg

I drill out the center with an 11.89mm drill bit (closest thing I could find to 12mm at home depot) and then put the AIXIZ module in the hole with some thermal epoxy.

This big of a heatsink would only be necessary if you want a laser with no duty cycle and even then it's a little big. When I use the included fan I'm able to run 445nm diodes at 1,600mW for hours without a problem.

Amazon.com: Intel Socket 1366 Copper Core/Aluminum Heat Sink & 4" Fan w/4-Pin Connector up to Core i7 3.06GHz: Electronics

If you open up a dead computer, there should be a square heatsink (2 or 3 inches across) on a board, on a large chip that runs the entire computer.
If you don't know what I'm talking about, watch this-
DIY: Hack a Dead Computer into a Burning Laser! - YouTube
With proper heatsinking, you could run this laser at higher than 400ma and get about 250ma output, and keep the laser on without following a duty cycle.

that's sooooooo cool !! , this is very helpful , I really appreciate your reply
but I have a couple of questions regarding this effective heatsinking method , what if I reshaped that heatsink so that it fits in my housing , would that affect the heatsinking ? (as I realize ,after all, this heatsink is much more bigger than what the laser needs to cool down)
another question is , would I be able to run it on 500 mA ? and if I did , what would be the power that my laser would produce ?
I don't understand how exactly the laser diodes work in addition to what is the amount of power it produce related to .... , we learned about diodes in my electronics class , but i guess the Prof have missed the ld's part...
,, and again sorry for my bad english
thanks
and sorry you meant giving it 400 ma so i get 250 mW as an output ?

Last edited:
I use these heatsinks for my DIY builds.

41ugEoxTLdL._AA300_.jpg

I drill out the center with an 11.89mm drill bit (closest thing I could find to 12mm at home depot) and then put the AIXIZ module in the hole with some thermal epoxy.

This big of a heatsink would only be necessary if you want a laser with no duty cycle and even then it's a little big. When I use the included fan I'm able to run 445nm diodes at 1,600mW for hours without a problem.

Amazon.com: Intel Socket 1366 Copper Core/Aluminum Heat Sink & 4" Fan w/4-Pin Connector up to Core i7 3.06GHz: Electronics

dude !! 1.600 mW is so cool ! Where do you get such a diode ? what is the lens used ? how do you get such a power ? , at what cost ?
your so lucky to have that thing ! I guess it can burn WHITE things from 4 meters away right ? , by the way ,what is duty cycle ?
hope you answer me these lots of questions , thank you anyway

that's sooooooo cool !! , this is very helpful , I really appreciate your reply
but I have a couple of questions regarding this effective heatsinking method , what if I reshaped that heatsink so that it fits in my housing , would that affect the heatsinking ? (as I realize ,after all, this heatsink is much more bigger than what the laser needs to cool down)
another question is , would I be able to run it on 500 mA ? and if I did , what would be the power that my laser would produce ?
I don't understand how exactly the laser diodes work in addition to what is the amount of power it produce related to .... , we learned about diodes in my electronics class , but i guess the Prof have missed the ld's part...
,, and again sorry for my bad english
thanks
and sorry you meant giving it 400 ma so i get 250 mW as an output ?

Yes, you could reshape the heatsink while still getting pretty good heatsinking. Of course, if the laser gets hot, you should turn it off so you don't kill your diode.

If you run the diode at more than 420ma, then you are most likely shortening the life of your diode, so I wouldn't run it at higher than 420ma because those LPC-815 diodes aren't designed to run at such a high current.

Also, I did mean to say 250mW.

DrSid

dude !! 1.600 mW is so cool ! Where do you get such a diode ? what is the lens used ? how do you get such a power ? , at what cost ?
your so lucky to have that thing ! I guess it can burn WHITE things from 4 meters away right ? , by the way ,what is duty cycle ?
hope you answer me these lots of questions , thank you anyway

Most of 445nm diodes can reach 1.6W. And with common lens it only burns at short ranges, as it has bad shaped beam. Duty cycle with heatsink like this would be unlimited I guess. I have pocket build which has duty cycle like 2 minutes, but it's driver overheating, not the diode .. and my heatsink is MUCH smaller.