Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My first build: Red lab laser ~250mW from DVD Burner

Hey guys, I just want to post about my new successful first build :)
I have spent over a month in research and planning for this laser, and have put as much effort as I can into making it a brilliant laser.
I will document the parts of the build. It should give you an idea of what to expect when building a laser like this.

Here are some pictures of the finished product:
main.jpg

Without laser heatsink:
main_day.jpg

Now I will describe the build process.
First of all I got hold of an old broken DVD burner from a computer repair shop.
I removed the red laser diode from it and mounted it in an Aixiz laser housing. I live in South Africa and found a nice supplier of these locally (just remove the existing laser from the housing): 5mW Laser module.
I then soldered two leads onto the pins of the laser diode and applied a bit of heatshrink tubing.
laser_in_housing.jpg

laser_diode.jpg

As you can see it all looks pretty neat.

I then built the driver circuitry. I decided to drive the diode at 250mA (a bit lower than usual), which should prolong the life of the diode and not make it get so hot) so built a LM317 driver circuit with a 5 Ohm resistor (actually it's 2 10 Ohms in parallel, which gives 5 Ohms) to limit the LM317 to 250mA using this formula: 1.25/0.250 == 5 ohms.

I also used a voltage regulator board (another LM317, in Voltage regulation mode) to limit the voltage to 6V to the current regulator, to prevent any surges and smooth it out. I put this on afterwards, after blowing a previous laser diode due to a power spike.
I mounted it all in a transparent box so it is easy to observe the components. I extended the wires to the two LM317s and mounted them to a thin metal heatsink. They get rather warm without it, so this heatsink works OK ;)
I am using a simple DC power jack and a toggle switch to power the first voltage regulator, which in turn powers the rest of the circuit.
main_from_top.jpg

A quick test run confirmed that it all worked 🍺
However, it got hot in a short time. I needed to cool it down.
I found an old heatsink lying around and bent the fins to fit the laser housing inside. I got it to be as tight as possible, and applied a little thermal paste.
main_heatsink.jpg

main_heatsink_front.jpg

The heat is dissipated and seems to give the laser a very high duty cycle. Plus running it at only 250mA makes it less hot anyway.

BEAMSHOT (enhanced with smoke):
main_beam.jpg

All in all this build has been great fun, and got me even more interested in lasers.
I will post something else I've done with this (laser cutter, yellow laser) in a few days ;)
Thanks for reading, if you have any questions feel free to ask :)

EDIT:
I attached a fan to the heatsink of the laser housing, it was actually getting rather warm after a few hours' use. It is attached straight to the 12V power input jack, and is always on irrelevant if the laser power switch is on or off.
The fan now keeps it very cool, so cool that the heatsink is much cooler than the ambient temperature :cool:
Here are the images:
fan_full.jpg

fan_main.jpg

fan_wires.jpg

I did not add a fan to the regulators inside the project box, as after running the project for 24 hours they were a little warm, but not nearly hot.
Their heatsink was still cold other than the areas directly next to the regulators.

This was a great little addition to the project :)

Last edited:

Blord

That is also a way to cool the module. Sometimes you have to build what you have.

Matrix

I like how you used thin clear plastic, much more smarter than my idea. I didnt have a drill so i used a soldering iron too poke holes in it, turned out looking very messy. it looked cool but since your box is clear it makes it more interesting too look at.

Amazing first build man, insides looked very clean.

-Matrix

I like how you used thin clear plastic, much more smarter than my idea. I didnt have a drill so i used a soldering iron too poke holes in it, turned out looking very messy. it looked cool but since your box is clear it makes it more interesting too look at.

Amazing first build man, insides looked very clean.

-Matrix

I actually used a Dremel to drill the holes, although its practically a drill since I used a drill bit.
I got the box from a "Ferrero Rocher" box of chocolates. It is actually pretty sturdy and works very well.
Thanks again for the kind words :)

Matrix

Oh, still if i did the same thing as you instead of drilling hole i wouldve probably used something else i found around the house because i dont have a drill :/
should probably buy one soon

Oh, still if i did the same thing as you instead of drilling hole i wouldve probably used something else i found around the house because i dont have a drill :/
should probably buy one soon

A Dremel is definitely the way to go. I also picked up a nice 70 piece set of tips, from polishers to some sawblades, sandpaper tips, ect.
Definately worth every cent. Try to get the battery operated one (its just like an electric drill with a charger, but at 30000 RPM max speed :eg:

Matrix

il definately get one i want my second hand held laser too be perfect :D