Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers



Laser Pointer Store

My first blu-ray build!

freshert

New member
Joined
Apr 2, 2008
Messages
482
Likes
1
Points
0
The first laser I ever made! Even though I had some problems making it and burning my thumb with the soldering iron, it still turned out great! Its set at 150mA with the PHR-803T diode and lights matches 3 meters away :eek: Anyway here are some pics.

WARNING! If you want to take pictures of blu-ray lasers, i would strongly recommend you against you buying a Sony Cybershot T300. I have one and it cant even see the dot properly, my mobile phone can see the beam though :-/






 

Switch

New member
Joined
Dec 9, 2007
Messages
3,327
Likes
4
Points
0
Nicely done :D
I just completed my first bluray recently too, aren't they amazing? ;D
 

freshert

New member
Joined
Apr 2, 2008
Messages
482
Likes
1
Points
0
Switch said:
Nicely done :D
I just completed my first bluray recently too, aren't they amazing? ;D
They sure are! It burns much better than my 180mW Pulsar and makes my clock glow :p I can see the violet beam but my dad can't though :-/
 

daguin

New member
Joined
Mar 29, 2008
Messages
16,636
Likes
622
Points
0
freshert said:
I can see the violet beam but my dad can't though :-/

Yeah.  That is yet another reason not to get old.  As we age our cornea gets more yellow.  Yellow filters out violet :(  It is one of the reasons I started experimenting with higher and higher currents.  I'm 54.  Everybody was talking about how cool the 405nm beam was AND I COULDN'T SEE IT!  I had to get the current above 150mA before I finally got to "see" the beam.

Peace,
dave

P.S. Sweet looking build, Freshert
 

freshert

New member
Joined
Apr 2, 2008
Messages
482
Likes
1
Points
0
daguin said:
[quote author=freshert link=1221559190/0#2 date=1221562816]I can see the violet beam but my dad can't though :-/

Yeah.  That is yet another reason not to get old.  As we age our cornea gets more yellow.  Yellow filters out violet :(  It is one of the reasons I started experimenting with higher and higher currents.  I'm 54.  Everybody was talking about how cool the 405nm beam was AND I COULDN'T SEE IT!  I had to get the current above 150mA before I finally got to "see" the beam.

Peace,
dave

P.S.  Sweet looking build, Freshert[/quote]
Thanks! I wonder if I should increase the current on this laser so the beam will be nicer.. :-/
 

daguin

New member
Joined
Mar 29, 2008
Messages
16,636
Likes
622
Points
0
freshert said:
Thanks! I wonder if I should increase the current on this laser so the beam will be nicer.. :-/
If you can see it, DON'T MESS WITH IT!  Every time you open it up, you take the chance on breaking it.  

If it ain't broke -- Don't fix it.

Build your NEXT one at a higher current if you want to see what it looks like. ;)

Peace,
dave
 
Joined
Jul 24, 2008
Messages
1,415
Likes
0
Points
0
thats my favorite host and i have 3 of them! :)

fun and tight little build but has an awesome final result!

and i agree if you want a stronger one simply build another. i have one set at 120ma 150ma and 190ma

and also another host with a 110ma

so i get a wide range of power :)
 
Joined
Nov 2, 2007
Messages
529
Likes
2
Points
0
daguin said:
[quote author=freshert link=1221559190/0#2 date=1221562816]I can see the violet beam but my dad can't though :-/

Yeah.  That is yet another reason not to get old.  As we age our cornea gets more yellow.  Yellow filters out violet :(  It is one of the reasons I started experimenting with higher and higher currents.  I'm 54.  Everybody was talking about how cool the 405nm beam was AND I COULDN'T SEE IT!  I had to get the current above 150mA before I finally got to "see" the beam.

Peace,
dave

P.S.  Sweet looking build, Freshert[/quote]

Uhm you know cataract is caused by long term exposure to UV. Well I know 405nm isn't UV but it might have a little influence on chances of getting it... Well I'm not sure this is what you have but I've seen it in bio recently, so it's cool to apply bio in laser forums.
 

daguin

New member
Joined
Mar 29, 2008
Messages
16,636
Likes
622
Points
0
Helioplasma said:
Uhm you know cataract is caused by long term exposure to UV. Well I know 405nm isn't UV but it might have a little influence on chances of getting it... Well I'm not sure this is what you have but I've seen it in bio recently, so it's cool to apply bio in laser forums.
Thank you. However, cataracts are a very different phenomenon. The "yellowing" is part of the natural aging process.

Peace,
dave
 




Top