Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My first attempt.

Hello. I have made a simple unit to start with. Consisting of a 445nm diode and powered by a 2.3 amp X-Drive V6. The battery is a Tenergy 3.7v/250ma. 20c Li-Polymer. Also shown is the beam combining prism I intend to use on the next step. I know this is simple and crude compared with what I have seen on this forum, but I want to go slow and carefully and follow all the protocols. Here are some pictures of the unit. Thank you for looking. Ed.DCP_5282.jpg

DCP_5286.jpg

DCP_5283 WITH CAPTIONS.jpg

Very interesting and unique design! I like it...
It appears that you have put a lot of thought into this build, as opposed to throwing everything into a flashlight host like most people--- +1 for that!

Do you have a way to meter the output? What is the duty cycle?

Hey ED!

I think it looks great, don't down yourself with of thought of it's "Simple", it's handmade by you which that in itself is great!

And it's a smart choice to go slow and steady.

"“All great things have small beginnings” Peter Senge :beer: +Rep for that.

Very interesting and unique design! I like it...
It appears that you have put a lot of thought into this build, as opposed to throwing everything into a flashlight host like most people--- +1 for that!

Do you have a way to meter the output? What is the duty cycle?

Thank you. I don't know where I could find a good WATT meter that I could afford. It would need to read 2w. to 20w? for my purpose. The duty cycle is 2-3 sec. for test and 6 sec. for burn test.. Ed.

Last edited:
Hello. This is the best I and a friend could manage of beam shots. One shows the beam in a dim room. The other is supposed to show the beam in a close up burning through a piece of tape. The nose is very close to the tape and you can't see the wisp of smoke at all. DCP_5288.jpg

DCP_5287.jpg

DTR

Is that a M140 diode paired with a 2.3A X-drive? I thought I saw the pink spacer you find on the M140's in the picture. Also how is that diode heatsinked? Can you take a closer picture of the diode?

Hello. Yes I'm using a 445nm diode and an 2.3 amp X-Drive V6. The heat sink is done with the use of micro-channels to redistribute the heat through the aluminum frame work.
I don't have a camera able to do closeups better than the ones shown. But the diode does not seem to be showing any signs of overheating. So far. Ed.

DTR

Is it a M140, 9mm or other. It looks like a M140 and 2.3A is way too much for that diode and I am surprised the diode is even lasing with that current. The only thing I can think of is you said you are using a 3.7V battery and it does not carry enough voltage for the driver to be fully in regulation. What is the total voltage of the power source fully charged? The X-drive will require a minimum of about 5.5V to be in regulation with a M140.

Hello. Yes it is a M140 diode. The battery is a Tenergy 250mAh 1S 3.7V 25C LiPo Battery It's voltage after a full charge is 3.4v. (I think it is simply under powered.) My next step is a 9 mm diode, and a 2.3 amp X-Drive V6. I will try using two Tenergy 250mAh 1S 3.7V 25C LiPo Batterys to power it. Ed.