Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My First 140/210 mA Hi / Lo Red Laser (16x DVD)

SyKo

Well i thought the best way to introduce myself might as well be a post about a self made laser, seen as thats how i stumbled across this forum whilst looking for answers about the might laser diode.

Parts:
16x Pioneer DVD-RW LD (Red)
LM317 Circuit (100 ohm Pot etc.)
The DVD Drive shell
Old Green laser module
random things that fit together :)

So anyway this is just a simple DVD burner diode fitted into an old module and then fitted into a heatsink hooked to a Driver supplying about 3v and with the flick of a switch either 140mA of current (Low Power Mode) or 210-220mA (High power Mode).
when focused its rather successful at doing all the usual lighting of matches, cutting tape and what not.

2d8hlp4.jpg

Edit: Re-Adjusted to 140/240mA

Last edited:

Welcome to the forums SyKo...
Its a good way to introduce yourself, damn, its so good to see someone building DVD burner lasers!
good and simple, as Kamildos said. ;)

As for safety, always beware with your eyes! Lasers >5mW can damage your vision permanently...

You even printed a warning. Great!
What housing you're using by the way?

+1...

Last edited:
Syko --
It is good to see a person starting out where many of us were at about 3 years ago !!!
By starting here, you will quickly learn how to advance in the hobby.
May you soon be a major contributor to the forum..... +1
HMike

SyKo

Welcome to the forums SyKo...
Its a good way to introduce yourself, damn, its so good to see someone building DVD burner lasers!
good and simple, as Kamildos said. ;)

As for safety, always beware with your eyes! Lasers >5mW can damage your vision permanently...

You even printed a warning. Great!
What housing you're using by the way?

+1...
Thanks for the welcome :)

i've got a pair of Laser goggles(650nm) coming in about a week,
as for the housing, it was just one scavenged from a broken 20mw 532nm Pen but it works and fits well so i'm happy.

anyway after making this i'm on the lookout for wherever i can get my hands on free drives and hopefully in the future i might have the funds to starts experimenting with other diodes 532, 405 etc.