Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

my diode blew

my diode broke so i am going to get a new one from stonetek. Does anyone know if he has the good diodes again? Or does he still have the bad ones?

yay, that means I can get one. When it blew, the diode was putting out some light, but it was 2 lines. I dont know if thats how they all look or what. I thought that it was just a faint dot....

chido

Well, I can't really tell you what a dead LD looks like since I haven't killed any. :cool: Yet ::) All I've heard is that they look like LEDs.

Yeah, thats what I've heard, but i was using my laser and it just blew. Now, there are two faint lines on the wall where i shine it.
like this
ll

Switch

chido said:
Well, I can't really tell you what a dead LD looks like since I haven't killed any. :cool: Yet ::) All I've heard is that they look like LEDs.
This is what a dead LD looks like :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ROFL!

Attachments

• dead_laser_diode.jpg
    dead_laser_diode.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 174
chido said:
Did you check the lens or the window on the diode?
theres nothing that could have gotten on it because it was inside the housing with the lens covering it :(

chido

Switch said:
[quote author=chido link=1205448993/0#3 date=1205450689]Well, I can't really tell you what a dead LD looks like since I haven't killed any. :cool: Yet ::) All I've heard is that they look like LEDs.
This is what a dead LD looks like  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ROFL![/quote]

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
funny12.jpg

chido

clwatkins10 said:
[quote author=chido link=1205448993/0#5 date=1205451018]Did you check the lens or the window on the diode?
theres nothing that could have gotten on it because it was inside the housing with the lense covering it :([/quote]

Ok, but you should still check it out, you never know.

Switch

Too bad all those people are behind the camera so we can't see them laughing their asses off at my awesomeness ::) ;D

Meanwhile, back on topic, you should check the diode window, but from what it seems to me , it totaly got fried :-/

ok, I have checked and there is nothing on it :( looks like I will have to fork over $20, I winder why it looked like that? :-?

chido

I don't know, but now it's DEAD :eek: uuummm, I mean it's happily and peacefully resting in LD heaven. ;D

Keep all of your dead LD's in a little box. That way when you are feeling sad you can go cry over your dead little babies. Sometimes you can run them as zombie diodes when you're bored. I had a few 5mW red diodes that blew, then I hooked them up directly to some AA batteries and it put out red again! It got really hot and the dot was a little distorted but they are fun to play with while you are waiting for new diodes to kill.

or practice your soldering skills on the pins,
or open em up and look at their innards

Sometimes, I use one of the dead ones as a dummy load to test a new driver. The junction voltage drop and current usually remain about the same unless you REALLY blew it.

Mike