Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

my blu-ray and its glass #$%@ help...

caleb

I sappose I finished my first blu-ray running at 90ma but it doesn't work that good. When I put it in the module I realised the glass had been pushed in. I could get it back in the right spot by shacking it around and I though I'd glue it in, but didn't.
So when I had finshed everything I lit it up and at best a speck of violet light on my fingertip when holding it about 1cm away.
So I then took the lens out to try and shake  the lens around and get it in the right spot, but I realised it was now turned (~90 degrees) and there was some green bit (probaly the bit where it sticks to the can) sticking out...

What do I do now? Can I remove it, or cut the can open when it's inside the module.

thanks anyone that can help.

Attachments

• scale_001.JPG
    scale_001.JPG
    217.2 KB · Views: 93

caleb

sorry for massive pics :p

Attachments

• scale2.JPG
    scale2.JPG
    194.6 KB · Views: 101
Well it may have already done irreversible damage. The internal components are VERY fragile. And with that windows loose and shakeing around inside of the can you ultimately could have ruined the die's surface, broke a wire bond or knocked something out of alignment.

Your best bet would be to stop shakeing it and carefully try to remove it with some tweesers, if you can gently break it into two peices you might be able to wiggle it out.

caleb

well if i cut it, where should i cut. less than 1mm from the end?
what should i use to cut it.

and im not angresively shaking it, im just holding it upside down and kinda 'tapping' the module.
thanks man.

suiraM

I haven't tried this, but I think you might be able to use a dremel and a small vacuum to remove the front surface of the can. If you can actually get it out of the module, that would be better, of course, but if you can't, it seems likely that any real pressure applied will just be risky. With a dremel, you will get dust, however, and that must not get on the chip inside, or you're screwed. If you don't have a vacuum of the right size, you could try to find a way to reduce the pressure from one of those canned air boxes, and use a needle to deliver the pressurized air to the inside of the can while cutting away room for the window to fall out. If the pressure is low enough to avoid tearing the wires, yet high enough to blow the dust out, and you complete the work in the time the box lasts, it should work. Either way, you'll need some clamps, as you only have two hands. Don't bother dremeling away more than you need to make room for the window to fall out from its current position.

All that said, I'd like to reiterate that I'm speculating here.

Best of luck, whatever you try.

maybe you could take i pair of needle nose pliers and expand the orphous by simply crimping on it. i guess i need to make my self more clear,

if you're careful, try inserting some pliers, one prong inside the hole and one on the outside walls, press gently and the thin metal of the hole should start to fold up. once you have expanded the hole enough, the glass window should fall right out... maybe!

BTW this could be done with it still in the module

daguin

Can you get it into the correct position when you "shake" it around?  If you can, get a pointed toothpick and some super glue.  You are going to be working with the laser pointed toward the floor so this may be a bit awkward.

Shake the laser until the window is in the correct position (no "green" part showing)

Get a very small amount of super glue on the tip of the toothpick.

Touch the very edge of the diode can opening with the glue.

You are trying to transfer a very small amount of the glue to the very edge of the diode can opening.  Too much and the glue will "flow" and obstruct the light.  If you don't get it the first time, try again.  The window moving around in there WILL cause you problems.

Peace,
dave

caleb

ok. but looking at those pics. does i look like its running at 90ma.
i know theres something in the way, but...
when i turn a ~5mw diode with driver on, (no module/no lens) it will still be real bright, much much brighter than the blu-ray. or is it just not bright becuase its 405nm.

daguin

caleb said:
ok. but looking at those pics. does i look like its running at 90ma.
i know theres something in the way, but...
when i turn a ~5mw diode with driver on, (no module/no lens) it will still be real bright, much much brighter than the blu-ray. or is it just not bright becuase its 405nm.

I'm sorry. I didn't look at your pic's. The loose window shouldn't significantly reduce the "brightness" of the diode. It will affect what the beam/spot "looks" like, but it will not make it significantly "dimmer." You will have to make this call, "Do you still have a laser or is it an LED now?" The loose window may have already "killed" it.

Peace,
dave

caleb

im prety sure its dead :'(. unless i made a mistake in my driver/DMM readings and its running at 9mA...

but i did buy another 803 and il 'keep' the 'stuffed' one.

caleb

ok, i got my PHR today. i had it set to 90mA. i short the cap and soldered it up. turned it on.
and nothing noticibly diferent to the old one.
i couldnt have blown or damaged it, i had the solder on there for no more than a seccond with over a minute in between soldering.
the only other thing i can think of is my driver is running to low.
another thing i see is that when focused realy small about 30cm from the surface, there is s small dot next to the main violet dot. and its kinda greenish, i read a thread about how it produced green at realy low currents.
hmmmm. any pointers. thanks mans!

Things

I woudnt recommend super glue, it releases fumes that are hell for any optics! :eek:

caleb

oh no, im over the glass glueing bit :) i bought a new one. but they have the same output :-?

caleb

well how can i make a fixed DDL for 90mA? i opened a thread on it in the "tutorials, help" section, no replys yet though... :-?