Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My 75$ 1W laser plans!

Host
Diode Module
Heatsink
Driver
1W(up to 1.5W ) laser diode, 445nm
Batteries
So far With everything here, I'm at 63$ plus shipping, I need to find a cheap pair of glasses/goggles for 445nm.
I'm open to all suggestions,tips and anything to make it cheaper :D my budget at most is 80$ Thanks guys!
(btw this is the first laser I'm going to have over 15 mw , which that was an overspec Chinese UV laser pen from ebay. so if I've left anything out or made some bad decisions let me know so I can fix that)

Last edited:

upaa27

I have used that driver and host and the host is really horrible(duty cycle of 15 seconds before massive overheating). The driver is really bad the first time I used it it short circuited then completely broke. HOWEVER I did not use that heatsink so you probably get better duty cycles. The driver is really bad IMO as it also overheats VERY easily even with a heatsink. Good luck on this build i want to know how it comes out

Go any better suggestions? I'd like something that I can use and wont break XD

IsaacT

Upaa27 what heatsink did you use if not the one for C6's? OP: my C6 1W build was fine but not satisfying. Just gave me a taste of what lasers had in store for me. Its like when you start playing an MMO character and they give you crappy dagger. You kill shit until you can get that glowing dagger pair that look badass.

I just want something cheap till I can get into the hobby more extensively, any place where I can verify if a DVD burner has the correct type of diode? by model number or something? I have a DVD drive I dont need lol was thinking of that

You're fine except for the Driver and the Batteries. Ultrafires are cheap but they cost cheap so just keep that in mind.
Get an Xboost driver. Around 20 shipped. Talk to Lazeerer here on lpf. He has them both as round drivers which fit the C6 host perfectly or rectangle ones.
Never cheapen out on the main components like the driver. They protect the diode and should not be overlooked.

Last edited:
So far With everything here, I'm at 63$ plus shipping, I need to find a cheap pair of glasses/goggles for 445nm.
I'm open to all suggestions,tips and anything to make it cheaper :D my budget at most is 80$ Thanks guys!
(btw this is the first laser I'm going to have over 15 mw , which that was an overspec Chinese UV laser pen from ebay. so if I've left anything out or made some bad decisions let me know so I can fix that)

The C6 remains one of my favorite hosts, it is easy to work with and very small. If you want to take a look what I did there is a link in my signature to a similar build.

If you must get cheap safety goggles then get one of these:

HDE® Laser Eye Protection Safety Glasses Goggles for Green Blue Lasers W/ Free Hard Case - Silk N Flash Go - Amazon.com

Uvex S0360X Ultra-spec 2000 Safety Eyewear, Orange Frame, SCT-Orange UV Extreme Anti-Fog Lens - Safety Glasses - Amazon.com

The second one are not real laser safety glasses but have been tested by members here and are used by many of us and work great for UV through violet and blue.

Alan

Thanks a bunch for the links, I didn't know what to get, and as for cheap I just want to get into the hobby and see if its my slice of pie. I've been fascinated but its like custom computers. expensive as hell and you have to be dedicated to it. xD I'm into both so its sorta a problem for me. If its something I'd like to progress in, I'd expect myself to be investing a couple hundred in a nice custom laser, anyone know where I can get foam to make place for this thing to set in the custom case I'm making?

BTW Pi R Squared That's a pretty nice laser you built! makes me even more anxious to get my build done, it'll be a month maybe before its all done with but I can't wait

IsaacT

Yeah the average cost of the lasers in my possession equals to about 400 dollars per laser. None of them worth less than 350. And that number will only be going up in the next week. My gf probably hates my hobby. Lol.

Mines fascinated with it, but the second she gets burned from this shell demand me to throw it away, which I wont, but I warned her so it's her fault. Anyone have any replacement parts? I ordered the heatsink and diode assembly and I'm going to order the host and batteries, maybe driver tonight, but I wanna find a different driver if i can

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4hvnchv9nd2d6ca/2014-07-18 10.36.40.jpg
I think its missing the plastic piece between the focus thing and the diode housing?

Oops! I don't know how we all missed that but you forgot the lens, and you don't want a plastic one for this laser or anything class IV. Have you ordered the host yet? If not then get the lens at the same time 445nm AR Coated Standard Glass Lens Assembly or get one from DTR bottom left on this page https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/glass-lenses I think he also sells them on Ebay.

Alan

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch! the diode comes with a lense , but not a way to mount it inside the diode housing
i figured that was in the diode housing when i ordered it
also is there any way i can get a burning laser a bit cheaper?I've had to lower my budget due to some unexpected cost, im looking to get the diode driver pill and lense for under 30, can be any color but i want it over 200 mw, any suggestions? Or should i keep my parts till I can afford to build a better one?