Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My 3 mirror RC  spiral graph

Ace82

That's right, it is controlled using my old 6ch transmitter and receiver I once used for my helicopter, but since I upgraded that one, had just the purpose for it....for now!

It's a simple set up really, all I do is take apart the servos and remove the gears and there is a positioning potentiometer.  Using pliers, it is easy to turn the pot left or right (with the transmitter's channels trimmed to 0 or neutral) till the motor slows down and eventually stops turning.  If you go too far, it will begin to spin the opposite direction.  Of coarse the mirrors are attached to the motors, and the spin from the transmitter's trim, velocity and direction, presets, even crazy movements on the joy sticks controlling 3 channels (can and probably will add a 4th) to create shapes.

I cut out a piece of a Sony Xplode amp box and hot glued the servos in place, as a base for the experiment.  

I don't have the ability yet to post videos, but I shall soon!  

Attachments

• spiral_graph.JPG
    spiral_graph.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 249

Ace82

And here are some of the very few shape captures.  I know the exposure time has a great deal to do with it, but video's coming soon.  ;)

Attachments

• projection.JPG
    projection.JPG
    269.6 KB · Views: 399

Ace82

And here's the one I posted in Daguin's 405 review of mine, of coarse the middle one has some minor effects done.

I can't wait to finish the prototype. Peace - Ace

Attachments

• SGBR_001.JPG
    SGBR_001.JPG
    262.6 KB · Views: 665

daguin

VERY damned nice. Now get it in a box :)

Peace,
dave

thanks Ace thanks Dave now I've got to make me one of those spiral doohickees

daguin

I'm about 60-70% done with mine. I am using 25 Ohm pots and just discovered that they will NOT stop the motors (12V). I'm going to have to put in a couple of switches tomorrow. Then about the only things left will be the laser/heat sink and the fan. Oh yeah, I've yet to figure out how I'm going to get the power into the box.

Peace,
dave

Ace82

Thanks everybody for the kind words, however I'm considering adding a 4th motor, but will that be overkill? If nobody says it is, I'm gonna do it! Plus, I still have to permanently install a couple modules...so there's still much work to be done before I seal it up.

go for it! it may make the pattern messy if they are all spinning fast but im sure at certain speeds it will look really neat!

Ace82

Yeah, depending on how much time I have, I'll do it tonight. I already have extra mirrors and servos, so it should be quite easy. Then, I'll try to post a video.

Hi Ace:

Does your laser beam hit the square mirror first or last? I wasn't sure.

:) :) :)

how do yall connect your mirrors to the tiny motor shaft... so far all my attemps leave the mirror vibrating really really bad!