Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My 1W laser pistol (prototype)

gear

Hey all, this is a little project I built this weekend. It's a 1W 445 18650 kit built into the body of a pistol. The laser can be removed from the pistol and used as a typical handheld with no alterations required. I was able to do this by completely rebuilding the gun's trigger mechanism to click the laser on and off via the standard tailcap.

A Nerf Nitefinder was used for the body and the 18650 kit fits PERFECTLY within the already existing air chamber.

Since the Nitefinder already has a secondary mechanism that lights an LED via the trigger, it's very simple to wire in an aiming laser too! Here's how it works:
When you pull the trigger, the aiming laser lights up. When you release the trigger, the blue beast laser fires and the aiming laser automatically shuts off. A second pull on the trigger shuts of the laser entirely.

This is still a work in progress and I haven't wired in the aiming laser yet, but that's a simple job and shouldn't take long. The primary laser fires beautifully and locks into the pistol safely and securely. It takes a split second to release the laser from the pistol, giving you back your handheld laser, ready to use.

I'm at work right now but I plan to keep you all posted. Here's a pic.
proto01.jpg

More pics and video hopefully coming soon.

DrSid

Looks cool !

Somebody here had idea about 3x 5mw red lasers in triangle configuration as aiming for high power blue laser .. as in predator. It seems it could fit.

Get some Krylon flat black plastic paint, and paint it. Then take aluminum colored paint, and dry brush the whole thing, going heavy on the edges. Then takes some thinned out flat black paint, and run it in all the groves.

It will give it a real, and used look. Just an idea.

I've seen people using real rust flakes, and glue to age some guns. There is a boatload of stuff you can do to make it look real.

gear

It's hard to tell in the photo but the paint I used on this is a textured black paint made specifically for plastic. In real life the gun looks like it's made from cast iron. I've done a couple of Nerf mods/builds and I plan to steampunk this one. But this gun has something my others don't, a fully operational (and extremely cool) laser. All the details will go into it once the laser build is exactly where I want it. It's pretty close right now but I don't want to rush it.

Last edited:

rathat

You should put an orange thing on the front, to avoid being shot by people who think you are going to shoot, like on airsoft guns.

oic0

You should put an orange thing on the front, to avoid being shot by people who think you are going to shoot, like on airsoft guns.

Sure its not a real gun, but you are still in danger if its pointed at you or being played with in public. The orange tip means its just a toy. Kind of like how they arent on paintball guns or pellet guns.

DrSid

1W of 445 is no toy. Aiming it at anyone would be threat.

gear

This isn't a toy and won't get the orange tip treatment. Nor will it be waved around at parties. It will be treated as seriously as my other handguns.

@ Kenom: Not the same. This uses a complete 18650 host that inserts into the "gun". It's not hardwired into the gun at all and can slide out to be used as the original handheld. It's a two in one and I don't think that's ever been done.

DrSid

Would be interesting to add timer, for only a short flashes. Let's say half second. And some sound effects too :-D
The trick is half second will be enough light a match or burn through black paper. You will be able to use this for actual target shooting ! With continuous laser it would be no fun.

ped

Looks cool !

Somebody here had idea about 3x 5mw red lasers in triangle configuration as aiming for high power blue laser .. as in predator. It seems it could fit.

Thats a shout...imagine that haha

I'd soil my trousers if i was walking down the street and saw the "predator triangle" appear on my chest...let alone 1000mw of 445nm haha :)

want to see my laser pistols go to "youtube" and see my channel laser74hobby

vk2fro

to do the 2 second shot thing, you'd need to modify your host with a 555 timer wired as a 1 shot, with suitable C/R network to make the timer output drive high for 2 seconds. Wire a power transistor to the output to handle the lasers current drain and your set. The only problem is, fitting all this into your host :D