Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My 1mw ebay laser... is 1mw

kmanmx

I think i have been pretty unlucky

I read how nearly everyone reported there 405nm '<5mw' ebay pointer was actually more like 30mw+ (Been lurking for a few weeks)

So i headed to ebay.co.uk, found the laser that looked indentical to the rest of yours (says laser pointer on the clip, silver tip, same warning sticker etc) and it was a similar price of £9 from a ebay seller called Laserware. They had 100percent feedback, so i went ahead.

And i can't blame the seller because they wern't lieing, but i am pretty sure my laser is <5mw as described. Brand new batteries i can not see the beam at all in a dark room. It does not even warm up black tape, and after 20 seconds not even the tiniest hole in a bin liner. Forget matches.

Fortunately i just bought this to keep me happy till me 100mw O-Like 532nm laser turns up.

Still - pretty disappointing.

DJNY

I read how nearly everyone reported there 405nm '<5mw' ebay pointer was actually more like 30mw+ (Been lurking for a few weeks)

And i can't blame the seller because they wern't lieing, but i am pretty sure my laser is <5mw as described. Brand new batteries i can not see the beam at all in a dark room.

You were lurking for a few weeks and never recognized that the 405nm WL is the less visible common wavelength (except the IR WL)?

I´m pretty SURE that your <5mW pen works as normal as the others - great for fluorescing, but bad visibility in normal air conditions. Add fog/steam/smoke and you´ll see the beam. You won´t be able to light a match unless you have a magnifying glass.

kmanmx

I know it is a lot darker beam. But i have seen pictures and video's of others 405nm lasers, and read what people have said. Most people say they can just about see the laser in a dark room, which i understand. Except i have good vision and it is totally invisible.

There is no way it will light a match, even with magnification. Other peoples pointers on here i have seen smoking black tape and bin bags, if only slightly.

This is not a moan at anyone at all, just a warning that there are some sellers that actually do know what they are doing and when they say 1mw or <5mw, they mean it :)

Thanks

eexe

What batteries did you use? Zinc-carbon or alkaline? Your eyes should get night-adapted to see the beam.

Last edited:

kmanmx

I was just thinking that. They are new from a remote control i bought a week or so back, but they don't actually say zinc-carbon or alkaline. I checked with a multimeter and they were 1.5volts dead on though.

I was just about to head out and get some good branded batteries and see if that makes a difference.

Or maybe the pot on mine is turned down, how easy are they to open up without breaking the whole thing ?

my ebay 405 $9 laser is around 48mW and I cannot see it in a dark room, light matches, cut black tape or anything. At first I was like you I thought it was <5mW. But then I got my LPM and saw that it was actually 48mW. Only way to really tell is with a meter.

Last edited:
my ebay 405 $9 laser is around 47mW and I cannot see it in a dark room, light matches, cut black tape or anything. At first I was like you I thought it was <5mW. But then I got my LPM and saw that it was actually 48mW. Only way to really tell is with a meter.

Absolutely right.. I've got a little $9 405nm special too. No burning, no visible beam, but it makes ~30mW all day long.

my ebay 405 $9 laser is around 48mW and I cannot see it in a dark room, light matches, cut black tape or anything. At first I was like you I thought it was <5mW. But then I got my LPM and saw that it was actually 48mW. Only way to really tell is with a meter.

Same here. It's hard to see the beam even with smoke in a dark room. I've got some pics that I need to post of the 405nm vs 445nm vs 532nm vs 650nm in my dark garage with smoke.

Mine didn't burn until doing the focus mod. Now it will easily light matches or burn through tape. :eg:

ZapU

I was just thinking that. They are new from a remote control i bought a week or so back, but they don't actually say zinc-carbon or alkaline. I checked with a multimeter and they were 1.5volts dead on though.

I was just about to head out and get some good branded batteries and see if that makes a difference.

Or maybe the pot on mine is turned down, how easy are they to open up without breaking the whole thing ?

I use this guys method of using a wood block to dismantle pen lasers. Have opened 5 of them with no problems. Just go slow and steady. As soon as I barely free the head, I take a small screwdriver and lift the foam ring over the click button while sliding the unit out.

Once you are in, turn the "pot" counterclockwise about 1/5 turn.
Warning! One failed to adjust, I believe I tried turning it too far.

I did not pot mod the 405 in my sig. Figured it was good enough.

Usual People use some type of fog or smoke to see the beam. Different places of the world and environments in doors can very. At someones house they could have more particles and dust in the air then in your house witch will make the beam look more visible at there house but not your.

405nm is hard to see the beam in a dark room even at 100mW."Well at my house." At another ones house the beam can be more visible or less.

Put a little fog in the room and you will be all set.:)

If you dont have a fog machine you can check out this thread i did on make fog Cheap.:D
http://laserpointerforums.com/f42/h...better-beam-viewing-cheap-easy-all-58590.html