Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My ~115mW Review (Finally!) (Pics Inside!)

Rhith

For this an my other lasers look at this thread. http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1193361888

I figured it was about time that I really tried to help everyone out and do a proper review on my ~115mW CNI Pen that I purchased from Carter (Pseudo).

When I purchased this laser included was, One 532nm CNI Pen Laser, One Dragon Case, One Box of Matches, One Bag of Balloons, One <5mW Key Chain Red Laser Pointer (with an extra set of batteries), A handful of AAA batteries, and Two Power Graphs of the 30 second and 60 second samples.
This is my only high powered laser at the moment and it also being my first I was very amazed with the intensity of the beam. With a regulated 3.1V power supply it provided an average of 114.2mW over 60 seconds and 116.5mW average over 30 seconds. The highest peak between the two graphs was 130.2mW. The standard deviation was only about 6.4mW between the two graphs, thusly being a very stable unit. I was also able to get a unit with a beam diameter of ~1mm and an mRad of about ~1.22-1.36mm. Though all of this information is important I'm sure everyone wants to see the pictures of this unit in action right? ;)

normal_mURI_temp_efc5bce5.jpg

normal_100_3895.jpg

normal_0721071419.jpg

The picture with the beam in it is with some fog but it is still a marvel to look at without fog. My camera isn't the best at capturing the true beauty of a laser such as this, as is the case with many. I can easily light a sharpied match at a distance if I am using my miniature tripod to hold the laser steady. With my Cap Set I am able to light a white match at the focal point almost instantly with rechargeable batteries. Balloons don't even stand a chance against my laser unless they're lucky enough to be white.

normal_100_3805.jpg

But when they're black it spells out instant death for them!

Matches are no "match" for my laser either. ;)

normal_100_3637.jpg

Overall, this is an amazing type of laser to have. I have only been able to compare it to my friend's X-85 that rates >100mW and both units are made incredibly. If you are ever looking around for a "pocket" sized laser to have I would not hesitate to recommend a CNI Pen. www.NovaLasers.com seems to have the best deals for these as a distributor, mine would be an "X-105". If you want to see some more pictures I have or even about some of my DIY projects browse my website, www.WirelessCord.com. Feel free to register and post your own pictures, I will not steal them in any way but it is more an informative site. If you have any questions feel free to PM me, reply to this topic, or email me at wireless@wirelesscord.com.

Re: My ~115mW Review (Finally!)

Nice review Rhith. I believe that the only reviewing that is lacked for the CNI gold, is a power chart for rechargeables, Lithiums, and duracell 1.5v. If someone would make a chart with these outputs, I would really appreciate it ;)

Rhith

You would have to ask someone with a power meter to do that one. If I had one I would do it, and you have to remember, each unit is different so results may vary. ;) But it would be a good approximation of power differences.

Rhith

I hate to bump this but I'm looking for input and what else I should include in my review and what you people think.

Sorry to threadjack but isn't the third picture in your review also on dealextreme's "200mW"?

styropyro said:
Sorry to threadjack but isn't the third picture in your review also on dealextreme's "200mW"?

No, maybe same case, but not same laser ;)

Rhith

::) I don't know how that got there. ::)

Gazoo

RobTheVIP said:
Nice review Rhith. I believe that the only reviewing that is lacked for the CNI gold, is a power chart for rechargeables, Lithiums, and duracell 1.5v. If someone would make a chart with these outputs, I would really appreciate it ;)

I posted a few graphs. I do not believe there is any advantage to using lithiums with the laser as it appears to be very well regulated.

http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1192227112

Rhith,
I would like to know the milliamps of current. Just unscrew the bat. cap and with the power button depressed hold test leads to the inside of the laser case and battery end to complete the circuit through a multimeter.

My X25 (looks just like yours)draws 520mA steadily over a 2.7-3.8 volt range(thats a winner!). But you don't need to modify voltage as I did. Just simply measure the current on your laser as is. It's a safe test as I explained it above. I bet it should be 550-650mA.

You can also do a black trash bag burn through/ seconds test. Keep same fresh/scraps for future test.
Then you will have a cheap reference for power output as your laser hours increase.

[smiley=beer.gif]

Rhith

Well it can destroy plastic with ease, smoke leather, light matches all that. I'll probably try and go to the college around here and bother their photonics program to see if they have any laser meters that I could use to test out my laser. Not use getting a meter when I only have this one so far.