Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My 100mW focusable from DX got defocus...

Hello,
I own a 100MW focusable SD-301 green laser pointer from DX and it worked great for two weeks now. it was focused when it was almost tight to the body.
now I burned somthing black for a few minutes with it.
5 minutes later I turn it on and it is suddnly of the biggest dot, when the focus will is almost tight to the body, just like before!
and I swear, I did nothing at all!
Now when it's focused it's almost to the other side, and even there it barely lights up a match :(
Please help, please!

Are you using safety goggles?

If you buy safety goggles the dot should correct itself.

Sorry...

You can visit my thread on decollimated /divergent beam. But mine is not focusable.

Last edited:
YES I am using safty glasses. and no, the dot is still friking big and it burns nothing

honeyx

If you buy safety goggles the dot should correct itself.

How will googles fix a beam out of focus?

Another problem is that you could have overheated the diode by running for long periods of time. :/

If the pumping diode would overheat, there would be no green at all. It´s just the collimating lens that either moved or went off for some reason. You will have to disassemble the part where the lens sits to check it´s position and if it´s still there.

How will googles fix a beam out of focus?

Goggles are always a good idea, especially when focusing the laser. Obviously they protect your eyes, but they also make seeing the dot more easily.

If the pumping diode would overheat, there would be no green at all. It´s just the collimating lens that either moved or went off for some reason. You will have to disassemble the part where the lens sits to check it´s position and if it´s still there.

It could of overheated the crystals too.

honeyx

Goggles are always a good idea, especially when focusing the laser. Obviously they protect your eyes, but they also make seeing the dot more easily.

There I fully agree with you. Googles are a must when dealing with lasers to protect you eyes and also make seeing the dot more easily. But a defocused dot will not correct itself just by wearing the google. He anyway will have to correct it himself by adjusting the lens.

It could of overheated the crystals too.

Hm, possible but very unlikely. The cristals would probably got demaged and stop to lease at all. I already fixed a few modules with death IR diodes by replacing them. Some for sure died because they overheated, but so far all the cristals were still working like before. Some of them lost a bit of power after being fixed, but it always was due to the quality of the used IR diode.

However I never ran into the problem of the beam being defocused exept it was the colimating lens not being adjusted well.

maybe some of the smoke got in the lens
try wiping the outer lens part with a Q-pick or something

I think he means Q-tip
images

honeyx

Better use a soft kleenex to wipe a lens. Those Q-Tips might scratch it. Or go to an optican and get something really soft for cleaning googles.