Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

MXDL 3W blu-ray

J

jamie.91

Ok lets face it size matters and in the world of lasers smaller is better

Today my new MXDL 3W flashlight arrived and when i looked at it closer i began to wonder if it is possible to turn it into a laser and if anybody has done it before ?

i got it from http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2097

if it is possible or has been done before links, schematics, tutorials and opinions would be a great help.

i need other peoples knowledge of what parts are needed such as resistor values

thanks jamie

Attachments

• DSC027te98.JPG
    DSC027te98.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 209

daguin

Re: Is this host possible ?

jamie.91 said:
Ok lets face it size matters and in the world ov lasers gennerally practical size matters

Today my new MXDL 3W flashlight arrived and when i looked at it closer i began to wnder if it is possible to turn it into a laser and if anybody has done it before ?

i got it from http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2097

if it is possible or has been done before links, schematics, tutorials and opinions would be a great help.

Of course it's "possible." It won't be easy. You will be severely restricted in your choice of components. The module will probably stick out the front. However, it is possible.

I don't know if anyone has done it before.

Send me one. I'll give it a try ;)

Peace,
dave

J

jamie.91

lol ok i was also thinking about how it would be operated because i would loose the twist function i think, and was thinking about a toggle switch at the bottom but there is very limited space

thanks

daguin

jamie.91 said:
lol ok i was also thinking about how it would be operated because i would loose the twist function i think, and was thinking about a toggle switch at the bottom but there is very limited space

thanks

The "twist" function simply pulls the contact away from the battery. You would have to mount the driver lead (or the driver) in a rigid manner to allow it to be pulled away from the battery.

Peace,
dave

diachi

You could build this it would just be pretty tight fitting, and you would need to be really patient, plus be able to work in tiny spaces. the twist function could still work aswell.

Diachi

J

jamie.91

keeping the twist function would be awsome but im not to fussed and would be more than happy to drill a hole throught the back and add a toggle switch if possible

thanks

btw if the the whole thing was "rigid" how would i secure the battery so when the twisting motion pulls the contacts away the battery wont just slide along but still needs to be able to be replaced

Yobresal was selling these a long time ago.

Yes, this is very possible. In fact, I was going to do this myself. I can email you a guide I typed up on how to do a DIY with this exact flashlight if you want.

Villageidiot, I'm trying to use this host as well, can you please send me a guide 2 :)

Email'd both you guys. Pics time of the host's components.

Attachments

• IMG_1027.JPG
    IMG_1027.JPG
    290 KB · Views: 272

Module showing battery connection board and the LED star.

Attachments

• IMG_1028.JPG
    IMG_1028.JPG
    296.8 KB · Views: 180

even moar

Attachments

• IMG_1032.JPG
    IMG_1032.JPG
    269.3 KB · Views: 174

led star with led

Attachments

• IMG_1033.JPG
    IMG_1033.JPG
    278.1 KB · Views: 231

I barbarically scratched off the star. I scratched the board in the process D:

Attachments

• IMG_1036.JPG
    IMG_1036.JPG
    300.7 KB · Views: 204
J

jamie.91

thanks for the details but what about resistios and any othere needed components ?

thanks jamie

BTW what resistor would i need to use ?

it isn't too bad - i am in the process of making one right now

you would need a proper driver - i reccomend contacting cdanjo, as he has made me a 100mA driver that runs off one aaa battery (or incidentally one CR123,) that is the same size as the fingernail on my little finger

http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?action=viewprofile;username=cdanjo - here is his username

Here is the thread - http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1212348243/0#0

I would email him, as he isn't on the forum a lot

BTW, it cost $22, which is the same as a lavadrive IIRC ;)