Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Mutil watt 445nm using beam splitters?

blrock

Hi,

Now that 445nm have become so affordable I was wondering if it would be possible to combined 10 or so to get one a multi watt blue laser.

I guess you'd lose some power during the process but even 5 watts from 10 diodes would be awesome. I just don't know how to do it. I have prism beam splitters but can these combine the beams?
If so would someone be so kind and show us a drawing.

I'd probably do something crazy and try combined all 24 of these diodes.

many thanks!

Last edited:

blrock

Don't really see why you'd need to combine them? Is 1W not more than enough power?

I guess you would need a dichro specifically coated for 445nm, so that it would pass the colour one way but reflect the other:

I would have though that would work, although I'd expect someone with more knowledge to do with scanners and beam shows will chime in soon.

One watt is "alot" for a pointer but when you doing shows in a large hall one watt 445nm may lose its effectiveness quickly. The dichros is very interesting. I have some dichros but I never knew some could pass a wavelengh and reflect the same wavelength. Using that method one could build quite a compact laser.
Thanks for that

Don't really see why you'd need to combine them? Is 1W not more than enough power?

I guess you would need a dichro specifically coated for 445nm, so that it would pass the colour one way but reflect the other:

62143698.png

I would have though that would work, although I'd expect someone with more knowledge to do with scanners and beam shows will chime in soon.

lol does not exist and will not exist.

that makes no sense whatsoever.

to combine 10 diodes you would need to knife edge them together and then use some lens to bring the size of the final beam down

the same way arctos do it

Awesome20Laser20-2020wattstechnics_.jpg

Asherz

My mistake, I'll stay away from projector advice in the future :p

For some reason I thought that was how two different beams could be combined? or will it only work with two different colours? Or am I getting confused entirely with a PBS cube?

Nice picture btw.

a dichro is used to combine two different wavelengths.

a cube is used to combine two of the same wavelengths

blrock

@Andy,

Thanks for the info. So is it possible with cubes?

any time

well using a cube you can only combine two beams.

if you see the pic i posted what arctos do is knife edge like 6 beams polarized in one direction and then 6 in the opposite direction and then use a cube to combine the two sets

blrock

It took me a while to figure out the image..but now I see how it works. Wow. There's 48 red laser diodes!
My A140 projector is on it's way....I'm definitelty going to try something similar. Even if it's only 4 blue diodes.
I don't mean to drag this thread on but couldn't you combine two diodes with one cube, then use another cube to combine the output of the two beams plus one more....then repeat the process....that would keep all the beams locked. Is that not how you combined just to beams?

Please excuse my crude drawing

Attachments

• cubes.JPG
    cubes.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 710
It took me a while to figure out the image..but now I see how it works. Wow. There's 48 red laser diodes!
My A140 projector is on it's way....I'm definitelty going to try something similar. Even if it's only 4 blue diodes.
I don't mean to drag this thread on but couldn't you combine two diodes with one cube, then use another cube to combine the output of the two beams plus one more....then repeat the process....that would keep all the beams locked. Is that not how you combined just to beams?

Unfortunalty that wont work , PBS ube only Works onnce to combine the two lasers , after , thats it , As andy said you would have to knife edge them then use ONE PBS cube to combine the beams to give one output beam , then from there it would Hit a dichro wich would say reflect 445nm and pass 532nm then say trough anothere dichro that would pass 532nm and 455nm but reflect 650nm .

Hope that makes sence , I think im right in what i said .

ion

Morgan

It's about polarisation. One beam entering the cube must be polarised in one direction and the other polarised at 90 degrees to the first. This is how the PBS, 'decides', to let one beam through and reflect the other at 90 degrees. For instance, if you have one beam passing straight through the cube, the other beam must reflect through 90 degrees to be combined. If the polarisation were in the same direction the second beam would also just pass straight through.

The newly combined beam now has light polarised in two different directions. If you now set up another PBS cube, it will pass or reflect only half of the previously combined beam, depending on the polarisation. Is that any clearer?

Just while we're on it, a polarised dichro could combine two polarised beams of the same colour couldn't it? As far as I know dichros are not normally polarised but is there a physics reason why they can't be?

M
:)

Last edited:
although they are alreay knife edged/stacked there are big gaps between them.

to get good results when knife edging they need to be as close together as possible no gaps