Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Multimeter is not reading Current

Hello, I started trying to assemble my first laser not too long ago. However, almost immediately after beggining to work on it I encountered a small problem. I bought a Rkcstr microdrive rather than make my own for conveniece sake. Soon after figuring out how to set the current on the driver I tried fitting it all inside an Aixiz module. I saw that it didn't fit and so i took it apart and kept trying to resolder it over and over until it could fit inside it. Anyways, after accomplishing that feat I put on my goggles turned on the laser and pfft, nothing happened, I'm assuming I fried the diode. So I decided to check for the current setting on the driver and this time it gave me a reading of 0. No matter how many times I tried fixing it, it kept giving me a reading of 0mA. So I figured out that I probably burned the little thing after so much resoldering and whatnot. I waited a week for my second driver to arrive, this time I did a MUCH better job putting it together. I connected the driver to a battery, proceeded to set the current but to my surpise, no matter what I do, It still reads 0mA. I guess I could have possibly fried this one too, but I'm extremely sure that I did not solder the ends for more than 2 seconds each!

I tried checking current this time with just a resistor connected to a battery and the multimeter and it still gave me 0mA, which obviously can't be true. So i'm led to believe that the Multimeter is broken =( . However, why would every other function work, except the one that checks for current? Or did I really just fry two drivers? Any thoughts or ideas to what could have happened are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You should be using a Test Load, and the meter is set to mv not ma. With a 1 ohm resistor on the test load 1mv=1ma..that's how you read and set the current. Please read up in the Drivers and test load section.

Welcome to LPF!

Also did you check whether the fuse is blown on your multimeter? Happens quite a bit when measuring current.

Hmm, no I didn't check that. Maybe that's another step I should take haha. Thanks for the tip.