Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Multi mode switch options

jm007

I recently acquired a nice 445 with a clicky multi mode switch on the end cap that let's you cycle thru the 4 possible modes: 5%, 50%, 100%, strobe.

Has anyone ever used a radial knob switch instead? I've searched extensively but can't seem to find the answer. I read that sometimes the multi mode functionality is part of the driver and sometimes it's handled by the switch itself.

It would seem that swapping out only the switch would be the simplest and easiest but having to alter any circuitry would quickly get beyond my abilities.

My perfect solution would be to use a rotary switch in the end cap to select the mode and then the knob could also be pressed/clicked for on/off like a button (forward clicky also gives momentary ability).

This flashlight ('Night Com UV' at CandlePowerForums) has the general idea but put all that functionality into one end cap switch package and that's more like what I mean.

Anyone have any suggestions or guidance on the subject?

Not with that many modes - the driver senses the time between power cycles, and then cycles through the modes accordingly. Sure it can be modified, but not unless you've got a lot of electronics and mechanical engineering experience.

jm007

Thanks for the info.

I would take your reply to mean that it's the driver that "knows" how to manage the modes and not the switch. That definitely complicates things and I'm not quite ready to go back to college just to figure it out :)