Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Multi-element GB (official)

GB ENDED Updates to come as soon as I receive a timeline from my supplier.

The Multi-Element GB has started! *To all that participated in my last GB, enjoy your gallium! *To those who didn't, here's your chance to obtain gallium and many other spectacular elements as well.

Since the gallium GB went so well, I have decided to hold another GB, this time with more elements! *I can also include other elements upon request by PM. *Prices will be as follows:

-Gallium: $2.50 per gram

-Indium: $1.00 per gram

-Bismuth: $1.75 per troy ounce (1 troy ounce=31.1 grams), or $18.00 per pound

-Tin: $1.50 per troy ounce, or $16.00 per pound

-Tungsten: $4.00 per troy ounce

-Cadmium: $0.05 per gram

-Selenium: $2.00 per gram

-Tellurium: $3.00 per gram

NOTICE: Some of these elements are toxic (cadmium, selenium, and tellurium). *I cannot take any responsibility for consequences resulting from improper use of these elements. *These are sold as research samples only.

Now, with the boring legal crap over with, here's some interesting facts about these elements:

Gallium: Melts at about 30*C (85*F). *This means that you can melt it in your hand! *I have also succeeded in melting it with my laser. *Gallium is loads of fun, like any liquid metal should be, but it is nontoxic (unlike mercury). *Gallium readily alloys with many other metals, and a combination of gallium, indium, and tin can produce alloys that are liquid at room temperature and below. *Also, blu-ray diodes, blue diodes, and green diodes would be impossible without gallium. *It is an amazing metal!

Indium: Also has a fairly low melting point (156*C), which can be achieved over a stove or campfire. *Indium is very, very soft. *It can be cut with a butter knife and scratched with fingernails! *Indium can also be formed into "crying bars", which are thin bars of metal that make a crackling, squeaking sound like it is tearing apart when you bend it. *Very interesting. *Indium is also quite nontoxic.

Bismuth: The highest atomic number (83) that is not radioactive. *Bismuth can be formed into beautiful, rainbow tier-shaped crystals, similar to a Mayan temple in design. *It can be melted over a campfire, or with a propane torch. *Its melting point is 271*C. *Bismuth is used as a nontoxic replacement for lead.

Tin: Quite a bit more interesting than it is made out to be. *Like indium, tin is also fairly soft and bendable, and you can make crying bars out of tin as well. *Tin melts at 232*C, and like the other elements, can be fairly easily melted at home to cast. *Tin is soft, and thin bits of it can be cut off with a knife.

Tungsten: The weight of tungsten is approximately the same weight of gold; VERY heavy. *This means that a small amount of tungsten is surprisingly dense, and very fun to pick up and hold. *The density will amaze you. *Tungsten is used in welding rods, and it has one of the highest melting points of all metals. *It has to be melted and cast using electric arcs.

Cadmium: I'm sure you have all heard of cadmium here on the forums, and doesn't it have a beautiful laser beam? *Scopeguy20 used to make his own gas lasers out of pure cadmium and selenium. *Cadmium is used in paints, lasers, and it also stops neutrons in nuclear energy plants. *Cadmium, while interesting and useful, is also quite toxic, however.

Selenium: As mentioned previously, selenium is used in the production of certain metals. *It is a very interesting-looking element, as it is a nonmetal, yet not a gas. *These elements always fascinate me. *It has a blackish, lustrous appearance, and I have it in the form of small black beads. *Only 25 grams is available. *Selenium is an essential trace nutrient, but its compunds can be highly toxic in quantity. *Be very careful when working with selenium.

Tellurium: This element has a beautiful radiating crystal structure, and I have a very limited quantity; only about 10 grams for sale. *Tellurium, similar to selenium, is very toxic in compounds. *However, there is another barrier; even touching tellurium will cause you to smell strongly of garlic for a week! *Do NOT make direct contact with this beautiful element, tempting as it may seem.

Pictures (taken by Theodore Gray at www.periodictable.com):

s13.JPG

s13.JPG

s13.JPG

s13.JPG

s13.JPG

s13.JPG

s13.JPG

s13.JPG

-Mark

Last edited:

Orders:

1. nvme: 24 grams gallium, 24 grams indium, 1 pound bismuth, 1 pound tin, 5 troy ounces tungsten, 100 grams cadmium, 3 grams selenium, 3 grams tellurium PAID

2. thejunkmonger: 12 grams gallium, 10 grams indium (Ship out June 12)

3. billg519: *50 grams indium, 1 pound bismuth, 100 grams cadmium PAID

4. Jimmymcjimthejim: 1 gram gallium, 2 grams indium, 1 pound bismuth, 1 troy ounce tin PAID

5. Dark_Horse: 20 grams gallium, 20 grams indium, 4 troy ounces bismuth, 3 troy ounces tin, 1 troy ounce tungsten, 2 grams cadmium, 2 grams selenium, 2 grams tellurium PAID

7. LiveRock: 10 grams gallium PAID

8. Benm: 2 pounds bismuth PAID

9. ohada: 25 grams indium, 1 pound bismuth, 1 pound tin PAID

10. Jaaju: 4 grams gallium, 5 grams indium, 2 troy ounces bismuth, 2 troy ounces tin, 1 troy ounce tungsten, 2 grams selenium, 1 gram tellurium PAID

11. dingle: 15 grams gallium

12. Jaseth: 10 grams gallium, 4 troy ounces bismuth, 2 grams tellurium PAID

13. Hemlock Mike: 5 grams gallium, 3 grams indium, 3 troy ounces bismuth PAID

14. Bob_Boyce: 28 grams indium, 1 pound bismuth PAID

15. styropyro: 7 grams gallium, 10 grams indium, 1 pound bismuth, 1 troy ounce tin PAID

Last edited:

JLSE

Can the indium be rolled flat easily, as in rolled into a foil? Im iinterested in the thermal properties of this, but have never attempted rolling my own.. :-?

WannaBurn said:
Can the indium be rolled flat easily, as in rolled into a foil? Im iinterested in the thermal properties of this, but have never attempted rolling my own.. :-?

Yes, I believe so. I'm not sure how easily, though, as I do not own any indium. If not, though, I know that indium foil is used in certain industrial sealing processes, so you could probably find it out there somewhere if not. I'm as excited as you guys are to find out the properties of this stuff! If simply rolling it flat would not work, you could probably pour a thin layer of it onto a flat surface, peel it off, and then hammer it thinner.

-Mark

JLSE

I will PM you and get in on some indium :) I know its used for thermal contact in TEC setup etc, and is also used to wrap NdYvo4 sets, which I always do with mine. The pieces ive come across and used were already foil type pieces easily cut with an x-acto knife into strips.

These are a couple of pieces that I have left, approx 1in squares. I originally thought this was lead, but another member steered me in the right direction. Excellent thermal properties for my DPSS work ;)

Attachments

• indium_foil.jpg
    indium_foil.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 266
What form is the tungsten in?

Also, can I buy indium buy the 12.5 gram ingot or did you switch suppliers?

styropyro said:
What form is the tungsten in?

Also, can I buy indium buy the 12.5 gram ingot or did you switch suppliers?

You know, I am unsure of the form of the tungsten. I will ask my supplier about it. Also, I have decided to use a single supplier for all of my elements, as it will probably save me a fair amount of money on the expensive shipping costs.

-Mark

Benm

I would be interested in a pound or 2 of bismuth (great diamagnetic), but any ideas how much it would cost to ship that much to holland? Also, do you have any indication of purity?

I would be interested in mercury at a good price too, but i suppose that would be very inconvenient to ship, especially internationally since its not usually allowed on aircraft.

Benm said:
I would be interested in a pound or 2 of bismuth (great diamagnetic), but any ideas how much it would cost to ship that much to holland? Also, do you have any indication of purity?

I would be interested in mercury at a good price too, but i suppose that would be very inconvenient to ship, especially internationally since its not usually allowed on aircraft.

I am unsure of the exact purity, but I believe that all elements here are 99.99% pure. I will compose an email to my supplier to check, though.

The shipping price comes out to $15 for priority mail (for some reason, first-class mail is more expensive...)

-Mark

Here's another tidbit on Tungsten:  It can be alloyed along with pure gold with 1% Tungsten and in this alloy the metal will look like pure gold, (which, btw, has poor hardness for most jewelry designs due to the softness of pure gold).  The resulting (new) alloy is 99% precious gold, but about as hard as 18 karat yellow gold and therefore reliable for say mounting valued gems and use in and much more intricate designs than are practical with pure gold.  This newer alloy has been called "nine ninety gold" and it follows, would have a value nearly the same as pure gold (about $890 an oz as of this writing).
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Any news back on the form of the tungsten? I'd hope it isn't like powder or anything, I'd like it to be in some form that I can appreciate its density. Also, when will you be ending this GB?

styropyro said:
Any news back on the form of the tungsten? I'd hope it isn't like powder or anything, I'd like it to be in some form that I can appreciate its density. Also, when will you be ending this GB?

Well, the tungsten was going to be sold in crushed form (~5 mesh), but I asked my supplier if he had any other forms, and he says he has small ingots. I have yet to get a reply as to what "small" means. I have obtained all the forms and purities of these elements as well, and here is what I have gotten:

Gallium 99.99% shot

Bismuth 99.99% shot or ingot

Tin 99.99% shot

Cadmium 99.95% small rod

Tungsten 99.9% coarse powder (crushed material) 4-6 mesh, small ingots

Indium 99.99% form unknown

Selenium 99.99% shot

Tellurium 99.99% crystals, crushed material

-Mark

Sorry for all of the questions, but is shipping included in the price?

styropyro said:
Sorry for all of the questions, but is shipping included in the price?

Sorry, shipping is not included in the prices. I will charge you for shipping what it costs me, and so that depends on how much you order, and what method of shipping you would like. If you order standard shipping, it won't cost more than $3.

By the way, here is a chart of the elements I am able to obtain from my supplier (yellow=yes, gray=no)- I can get you any of the yellow-box elements other than rubidium, cesium, and arsenic (too dangerous). Feel free to let me know, and I will ask for a price quote.

-Mark

Attachments

• Element_supply_chart.jpg
    Element_supply_chart.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 403