Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Multi-Element GB (feeler)

Official GB thread: http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1240374838

Due to the popularity of the gallium GB I recently held, I will be holding another GB, and this time with a variety of elements.  This thread is a feeler; tell me what you would like, and I will do my best to obtain it! (NOTE: This is not an official order form, as I am not yet ready to begin taking orders.  The official thread will come when everyone has obtained their gallium.)

Elements I will include (blue=definitely, white=if there is enough interest):

-Gallium
-Indium
-Bismuth
-Tin

-Selenium (limited quantity)
-Tellurium (limited quantity)
-Antimony
-Boron
-Cadmium
-Manganese
-Nickel
-Niobium

I am unable to obtain gases, alkali metals (first column of the periodic table), and radioactive elements.  However, I am willing to look into just about anything else; let me know either by PM or in this thread and I will incorporate you into this list!

-Mark

dingle

How about deuterium water? I know it's not an element, but i figure theres a decent chance an element/chemical supplier would sell it.

dingle

I wish I had a Kryptonite cross, because then you could keep both Dracula AND Superman away

~Jack Handy

dingle said:
I wish I had a Kryptonite cross, because then you could keep both Dracula AND Superman away

~Jack Handy
And Super Dracula, well mabye, just a cross and jsut kryptonite doesnt work so far. :-/

Neither of those are elements!

I'd rather stick to elements of the periodic table to keep it simple and not confuse people too much.

-Mark

When you say iodine, do you mean iodine crystals? or iodine solution?

And yeah, I'm guessing crystals. I may buy some, but the quantity depends on the price (I know it'll fluctuate depending on how many people are willing to buy it)

Some of those on the list are quite toxic :-X

You should definitely post and send disclaimer to anyone purchasing or interested in purchasing. I'm sure most of us do our research, but u can never be too careful. ;)

Alexizupinhea said:
When you say iodine, do you mean iodine crystals? or iodine solution?

And yeah, I'm guessing crystals. I may buy some, but the quantity depends on the price (I know it'll fluctuate depending on how many people are willing to buy it)

I mean pure iodine crystals, the real thing. They are really cool...they are quite hard to find, and I am not sure of whether or not I will be able to obtain them. But I'll try my best!

TeLight said:
Some of those on the list are quite toxic :-X

You should definitely post and send disclaimer to anyone purchasing or interested in purchasing.  I'm sure most of us do our research, but u can never be too careful. ;)

You're right...I will add that to the top of the official GB thread when it comes along. Thanks for the suggestion.

-Mark

Depending on price, I may be interested in some bismuth, indium, gallium, and tin. There are some cool Gallium/Indium/Tin alloys that are liquid at room temperature!

styropyro said:
Depending on price, I may be interested in some bismuth, indium, gallium, and tin. There are some cool Gallium/Indium/Tin alloys that are liquid at room temperature!

Certainly! I've got some of the alloy on my desk. It is very cool!

Let me know what you would like when I post the official thread. Bismuth and tin should be cheap, because you can buy it by the pound for not too much, gallium will be $2.50 a gram, and indium will probably be about $3.00 per gram. (These are just approximation prices.)

-Mark

The entire Gallium, Indium and related metals for making liquid alloys would be a great set and Bismuth is also interesting to me.

I'm not too interested in the toxic elements, and am pretty unfamiliar with the uses/cool things you can do with any of the other elements .

rocketparrotlet said:
[quote author=styropyro link=1239673808/0#9 date=1239834334]Depending on price, I may be interested in some bismuth, indium, gallium, and tin. There are some cool Gallium/Indium/Tin alloys that are liquid at room temperature!

Certainly!  I've got some of the alloy on my desk.  It is very cool!  

Let me know what you would like when I post the official thread.  Bismuth and tin should be cheap, because you can buy it by the pound for not too much, gallium will be $2.50 a gram, and indium will probably be about $3.00 per gram. (These are just approximation prices.)

-Mark[/quote]
Do you have any idea on what the price will be for the bismuth and tin?

You can buy bismuth and tin at your local gun store in the reloading section. They are typically alloyed with lead to cast bullets...

Bismuth and tin is sold by the pound. I am guessing I can get it down to a dollar or two an ounce. I really am not sure yet, but I'm certainly looking into it.

All the interest in bismuth means it will be a definite- prices to come in the official GB!

Update: I have found an indium supplier! Official price (as with gallium) will be $2.50 per gram. Problem is, I have to buy 100g total, so I'd like a gauge of interest before I make the plunge. I'd like at least 70g taken if possible. This stuff looks COOL. Did you know you can cut it with a butter knife?

-Mark

rocketparrotlet said:
I mean pure iodine crystals, the real thing.  They are really cool...they are quite hard to find, and I am not sure of whether or not I will be able to obtain them.
When I had my chemical phase as a teenager (some years ago ;) ), I bought a few grams of iodine crystals at the local pharmacy, no problem (but quite expensive for me then). Later I got sodium (natrium) from a mail-order chemical supplier - It was fun to see it skitter about when thrown into water. Those were the times...