Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

most powerful for ~$35?

Hi Folks,

I need a laser for tropical forest fieldwork. We use them to point out leaves and branches up in the canopy. I'd like it to be as powerful/visible as possible. I only have about $35 or so to blow, so, would anyone have any recommendations (models and where to buy) for getting the most bang out of 35 bucks? I can purchase either in the US or UK. Thanks a bunch!

For $35 and the line of work you are asking, you are better off buying a 20' stick

DJNY

For your field of work, in tropical forest, a laser pointer won´t help a lot. Guess you´re only there in daytimes? You won´t be able to see the laser, except in the night.

If you´re looking for something in the night, there are more than enough suggestions / options on the forum.

@livinloud - Not sure what good your 20' stick will do you when working with 35-meter tall trees.

I've used cheap laser pointers in the field before, and they work. You can see the red dot, if it's not too far away. My guess is that it works to around 15 meters or so out there. But of course, I'd like to get the most powerful/visible one given my cost constraints. Us ecologists are poor compared to other professionals. But, that's life.

So, can anyone help out? Most powerful/visible for $35?

Last edited:
You have hit a double edge sword; for $35 you cant buy anything of quality or power. Flip side, if you buy something of power, you will need safety glasses due to reflections from wet objects, thus making the laser pointless. Add the fact that you will start burning those objects you are pointing at.........

You might think buying a high power laser is useful but you have no idea what you are talking about, sorry.........

@Livinloud - when did I ever say "high power laser"? I said, "as powerful/visible as possible". I have a masters degree in electrical engineering and have worked for lockheed martin and others as a research and development engineer. So, I think I know what I'm talking about in general where electronics are involved. What are your qualifications, Livinloud?

I don't need a "high power laser". What I need is the most powerful/visible given my constraints. Can I only get 1mW? I seem to have seen ads for 5mW around that price range or less, but I'm not sure if they're legit (hence my request for where to buy). Maybe I could even get more powerful than that for $35.

So, let's see if anyone here is actually equipped to address my question: most powerful/visible for $35?

For what you need you mean visible, not powerful (I can give you an 3W infrared laser, which is very powerful, but you won't see the dot). You said "red dot" that means you used very cheap lasers, 1mW red, so you can buy an 30mW green one, which is very bright (also, you can buy a brighter one for under 35$, but you will need eye protection, so that doesn't help).
So all to all, I recommend this one( It's waterproof!!!):www.rayfoss.com

Last edited:
@BurningLaserGuy - that's awesome. Thanks so much! And waterproof to boot - *perfect* for the tropical rainforests! Thanks a ton - this looks great.

@Livinloud - when did I ever say "high power laser"? I said, "as powerful/visible as possible". I have a masters degree in electrical engineering and have worked for lockheed martin and others as a research and development engineer. So, I think I know what I'm talking about in general where electronics are involved. What are your qualifications, Livinloud?

I don't need a "high power laser". What I need is the most powerful/visible given my constraints. Can I only get 1mW? I seem to have seen ads for 5mW around that price range or less, but I'm not sure if they're legit (hence my request for where to buy). Maybe I could even get more powerful than that for $35.

So, let's see if anyone here is actually equipped to address my question: most powerful/visible for $35?

Let me help you by highlighting it

Hi Folks,

I need a laser for tropical forest fieldwork. We use them to point out leaves and branches up in the canopy. I'd like it to be as powerful/visible as possible. I only have about $35 or so to blow, so, would anyone have any recommendations (models and where to buy) for getting the most bang out of 35 bucks? I can purchase either in the US or UK. Thanks a bunch!

@livinloud - Not sure what good your 20' stick will do you when working with 35-meter tall trees.

I've used cheap laser pointers in the field before, and they work. You can see the red dot, if it's not too far away. My guess is that it works to around 15 meters or so out there. But of course, I'd like to get the most powerful/visible one given my cost constraints. Us ecologists are poor compared to other professionals. But, that's life.

So, can anyone help out? Most powerful/visible for $35?

"most powerful" is the same thing as high powered. You said it not me. My qualifications are building lasers for over a year, spending over a year reading EVERYTHING and learning about lasers, diodes, drivers, etc..... You can have an electrical engineering degree but unless you have studied lasers before then your degree doesn't mean jack crap when it comes to lasers.

Mr. Electrical Engineer, what should a DBR 209 be driven at and with what driver type and battery? Oh you don't know? What good is that degree? Funny how an accountant knows more about lasers then you do so really what credentials do I need?

Where you come from, is it normal to slap someone in the face and then ask them a question because that's exactly what you just did by saying:

@livingloud - So glad to hear that your accounting and 1-year DIY experience qualifies you to understand what one learns by going through 6 years of electrical engineering training. If you do go back to school, you would probably benefit by taking some extra English classes as well. But, I suppose I'll just have to spell it out for you though instead of waiting for you to catch up. My previous post implied that "most powerful/visible" is quite different than "high power".

Finally, I don't mean to ask YOU *anything*. I would have preferred you never posting to this thread in the first place. Your useless quip to begin the whole thing was just that - useless.

I know I'm not supposed to reply to trolls, but I just can't help myself. Dammit.

Last edited:

Teej

The TITLE of the thread is "Most Powerful for ~ $35"

To me, this also sounds like he wanted the most powerful for ~ $35.

He wants the most VISIBLE though...he did clarify that.

This is a 532nm laser he looked at the specs for, and feels its perfect.

I'd wonder about the contrast to the target with 532 nm, in foliage, but, that might just be me....and my personal and professional experience with foliage. Not every jungle would be the same I suppose, I have only been to a few, not all by a long shot.

:D

Since he did look at the page, and he said its perfect, its logical to conclude that 532 nm is what he feels, for his use, is perfect, so, that should all work out fine.

Live and Learn.

School is now open:

Most Synonyms, Most Antonyms | Thesaurus.com Most is a synonym for highest (definition of synonym- means the same exact thing)

Power and powerful is the same word to begin just with a sufix added so no need to provide definitions there.

You have also yet to show any knowledge regarding lasers so yes I would say I am 100x smarter than you when it comes to lasers. You could probably wire a house better than me but you cant touch me when it comes to lasers.

SOOOOOOOO smarty pants, how did you not say highest power? Point, set, match.

Livinloud- 2
LuckyCharms- 0 and also an awful child's cereal

EDIT: You cant be a troll if you are correct. Trolls are idiots who try to sound smart, fail and then say lol you got trolled

Last edited: