Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Most hostile forum i've ever seen

Status
Not open for further replies.
So that about says it all. Yeah i'm a noob, yeah I don't know much about lasers, but that's why i'm here.

I'm convinced veteran members are hazing new forum members to force them leave. They want to use this place for themselves and not let the community grow.

You know who you are.
:thanks:
Rant over.

Last edited:

So that about says it all. Yeah i'm a noob, yeah I don't know much about lasers, but that's why i'm hear.

I'm convinced veteran members are hazing new forum members to force them [to] leave. They want to use this place for themselves and not let the community grow.

You know who you are.
Rant over.

When you are going to troll, at least put some effort into spelling and punctuation. :thanks:

You do not get around forums much if this is the most hostile, some vets here are trolls, being the internet all is normal, you want to see hostile go to D3 forums:p Most of the trolling has to do with the fact that most vets here would rather you take the time to read whats up before you ask. Hence the no spoon feeding line. Lasers are dangerous, if folks cannot take a bit of trolling on the internet perhaps they do not need to build lasers. Besides most of the hazing is humor, not spite, most jokes do have a butt after all. This forum has increased my knowledge about lasers and electronics by at least 10x, I mostly do not post but read the great amount of knowledge one can gain from here.

Grix

I'm sorry that you feel that way, not all of us are like that. It might take some time, but eventually you will earn the respect of the more hostile of the veterans if you keep your cool.

I am willing to bet that your choice of search terms was where you went wrong- it is EXTREMELY rare that a newcomer asks a new question. You say you tried-- I have not looked at your previous threads & posts but something was not handled correctly- If your tone was not quite 'nice' you are already off to a bad start.
Ever been to a public library??- lots of books and if you do not find the one you want there are ways to find them w/o asking a librarian to do your looking for you.
same thing here. We are more to happy to help with questions that are really new ones. We have seen replies like your a LOT. later we often see the 'I'm sorry' post.

if its instant laser knowledge you are after that is not available- this is a complex field and those not willing to do the own homework get a failing grade-- sorry thats just the way it is.

GL ---and believe me you will either give up or find your own solutions- the choice is yours.

I suppose I should have put <sarcasm> tags around my reply, in case it wasn't obvious.

This is just odd timing because I feel like this is the nicest the forum has been since I joined. If the op is reading a bunch of old threads, he could have a point, but in recent memory there hasn't been much going on. Either that or I've missed it all. :)

And you guys know my poor spelling well enough.... :D

Last edited:
I think you will find out ,that after awhile here you will learn a lot about lasers.
Just try to ignore the hot heads that jump down your throat for making mistakes. It happens to everyone.
Just read a lot about the subject you are interested in by search results.
Then if you don't find what your looking for, post in the proper section your question.
A lot of helpful people on the forum will answer questions, or point you in the right direction.
Enjoy tour stay!

So that about says it all. Yeah i'm a noob, yeah I don't know much about lasers, but that's why i'm hear.

I'm convinced veteran members are hazing new forum members to force them leave. They want to use this place for themselves and not let the community grow.

You know who you are.
Rant over.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Butt Hurt Report Form.png
    Butt Hurt Report Form.png
    142.6 KB · Views: 4,113
Yeah, we're sorry for being grumpy towards you, but hope you pick up your pace and become more knowledgeable. Once you're in out shoes, you'll look back and understand why we're tired of spoon feeding.

I like to think of LPF as a forum that best represents the real world. Sure, there are forums like CPF that are very very friendly, but no one really wants to type the same info again and again every time a new member emerges.

So don't get too annoyed by our attitude--just sit back, take a deep breath, and try to learn as fast as you can. :)

Good luck! :beer:

Trying asking questions over PM. It often helps a VET out if they can stick with just one noob/situation/set of questions at a time instead of jumping around from thread to thread trying to find the 'good' questions.

Of course, it is also good to ask someone before just being expected to taught something. :)

You seem to be asking new questions without getting your answers to the first ones.
Your very first thread SHOULD have been in the welcome section and be about introducing yourself- we like to know a little- like your first name- where abouts you live - your education level- profession- goals pertaining to laserts etc.
None of this is manditory but neither is answering your questions.
GL I think you will need it.

ARG

You know, I was a laser noob once too.

I asked stupid questions, said stupid things. I listened to peoples advice though and I started to read everything I could. I read as much of Sam's laser FAQ as I could, I read every thread and looked at every build; after that I had a good understanding of lasers and I started to contribute to discussions, offer advice to others and learn new things.

LPF helps those who first try to help themselves. The only time I see LPF as a community being hostile is to people who want to be spoon fed, and to those who do stupid things with their lasers.

DrSid

The only time I see LPF as a community being hostile is to people who want to be spoon fed, and to those who do stupid things with their lasers.

And double posting. Replying to multiple post in multiple posts is legit in every other forum I've seen. Not here. Not that I have problem with that, but it's something I noticed.

DJNY

You might feel more comfortable on PL (Photonlexicon) :whistle:

a lot of you seem nice, and I'd like to gain the knowledge to get to where I want, but right now. I have a purpose, and I just want to accomplish a goal.

I just wanted some help getting there because searching hasn't braught the answers. that's what i'm talking about. many of you could easily answer a question about a simple nd filter, but yet many might ignore my post because one time a year ago, lost the mass posts, it's out there and i'm supposed to go sift for the needle. Well I have life obligations.

When i was at overclockers.net I learned how to clock an amd 6 core from 2.8 to 3.67 stable on air within a month. They were friendly. they helped me, and their information was easily found because poeple posted better titles. and had a TON MORE information in their stickies.

I have my own stickies. I bet you didn't know that. I had a company paying me in product because I was so useful on their forum. That was friendly forum. They wanted me as a mod. I'm ethical. what's happening hear is people post a link vaguely related and then say you should have searched better. But the links don't answer my questions. So i'm stuck.....stuck asking and searching and coming up with nothing.

Last edited:
I can't help you with nd filters as I have zero experience with them.

One tip though, the built in forum search sucks here; it just doesn't do a good job at all. When searching at LPF, be sure to use the Google search box, it returns more valid results.

Status
Not open for further replies.