Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Mosquito gun

This might seem like a demented question, but I'm guessing/hoping someone here might have some experience with this subject. How much laser would one need to instantly kill insects like houseflies and mosquitos? Assuming a mechanism could be used to target them (like a scope mounted to the laser), could a laser pulse from across a 20 foot room dispatch them easily without scorching your walls? How about a hornets nest at 40 feet? How much laser would you need to quickly take bugs out? Any advice will be very much appreciated. Thank you!

A watt or two might be enough to kill a small house fly almost instantly. Maybe 10 watts for a hornet's nest.

Stick with air-soft guns and fire... it's cheaper.

Switch

A YAG laser gun might be fun :D Also one of those 2 or 3 watt IR diodes might do a good job up close , but I'm not sure about 20 feet since they're multimode.I know I had some trouble burning spiders on my walls with my DIY red,it kinda takes a long time to do it.
I think one of those class IV Herc's that have excelent beam specs would do a good job.I remebmer reading about someone screwing with hornet nests from a distance with a Hercules unit that peaked at about 800mW.

JECS

nah its not demented.. i was thinking about this for flies... i was even thinking about something a little more along the lines of http://youtube.com/watch?v=Al-4_1kUBLc&feature=related only it would need better control and it would be a bit hard to use cause of the focusing issue.. and targeting would be a bit harder too cause of their size.. always a solution though... use an ir camera to remove all color. change contrast etc settings for the camera so they will be easier to pick out.. set the focus and target to a specific range..say 5 ft. even 10 ft.. i can cut through electrical tape in a few seconds with an 8x ld at 10ft so i imagine with an ir diode or something at like 2 watts that would pretty much do it..might be cheaper to just buy a zapper :) not as cool though

That is freaking cool! Never saw an actual airsoft sentry gun.

My idea is actually to tap into the latnet hunter in everyone by exploiting the only species that actually really needs to be wiped out. If you could make exploding mosqitos with a laser as fun as a playstation game, we might have a culture changing event. It's also an environmentally friendly way to control pests vs chemicals. That's how I'm rationalizing this project anyway :)

Thought about airsoft, but accuracey is not what I want it to be. Also have the issue of ricochet to contend with. Wouldn't it be great in the summer when you see a mosquito inside your house, on your wall or celing - out of reach of a flyswatter - to be able to target and blast the little bastard with tremendous accuracey? A laser is the only thing I can think of that would accomplish that without ruining your walls/celing in the process.

I am not nearly as tech savvy as most of you guys, so I may be naive about this, but from everything I've seen, this concept should be plausible.

I have a Leapers scope called the "Bug Buster" that is very accurate and can focus as close as 3 yards. I would like to mount that to something like a Hercules laser housed in a rifle set-up with a trigger-power mechanism. One shot, one kill. It would be awesome to be able to control the power so you could go after horsflies as well if you need to, or hornets.

Obviously, there are saftey issues with all lasers, but this could replace the venrable Daisy BB gun in our society if produced and marketed the right way. Lot of "ifs" though.

Can a Hecules laser be made cheaper somehow? I know they have many different models with different prices, but I'm looking for something that will ultimatley be cheaper to produce...

Thanks for your help.

Kenom

UHH without RUINING YOUR WALLS? that laser would be more destructive to your walls and such than an airsoft gun. I think of it as kind of a 6 yr old trying to kill the fly or mosquito with a sledgehammer. Yeeesh!~ burn marks all over your walls, nice lines where you tried to catch up to the fly in midair! Oh yeah. essentially a great idea, just not very practical.
now when there is motion sensing computers hooked up to the laser like in the military that will track teh fly's movement, control the laser to that exact same point and shoot just a quick death pulse that might be doable. I'll shine a 100mw on my wall. or even a 500mw on my wall for a short time. that high of an output laser tho is just going to fry the walls too!

JECS

never had a chance to pointer a laser at a fly yet though so no idea how they would react to it. best bet unfortunately would be to use a few high powered reds and merge the beams, in order to do instant damage though theyd only only have a range of maybe 10-15 ft. more than any fly swatter though and definitely more accurate than an airsoft gun, and there should be any problem with burning the walls unless you have dark covered walls. depending what sort of setup you wanna go with you could build it yourself for around $100

Switch

I think 1W can screw up white wall paint with a long enough exposure... :-/

But seriously, you're not gonna wipe out the species this way.And you're talking about A LOT of money and technology being put into a device that well, kills bugs....

Your best option would be IR. It's the cheapest for the power. I would recommend attaching your high powered laser to a scope for some accuracy, especially if you're using IR (which you can't see). But the real problem is with the distance you want to burn at. Up close a 1W IR diode will kick ass, but after a few feet it would be very ineffective.
If you manage to increase the effective range it would also be useful for getting rid of those annoying unreachable balloons that float up to your ceiling!

Using a focusing lens I can instantly burn off a fly's wings with my X105... ;D

JLSE

Baconator55 said:
This might seem like a demented question, but I'm guessing/hoping someone here might have some experience with this subject.  How much laser would one need to instantly kill insects like houseflies and mosquitos?   Assuming a mechanism could be used to target them (like a scope mounted to the laser), could a laser pulse from across a 20 foot room dispatch them easily without scorching your walls?  How about a hornets nest at 40 feet?  How much laser would you need to quickly take bugs out?  Any advice will be very much appreciated.  Thank you!

Im still learning, but I snuffed a few bugs. I gathered a couple of ticks from the bush, if youve ever seen one they are kinda like a flea. The outter body is like stone, but my diy red destroyed it in seconds. For mosqitos, it would probably take less time.

Last edited:

Switch

Oh good job, I hate ticks, they get under your skin :mad:
Mosquitos are another big pain in the @ss.I can comfirm their quick demise by the wrath of the great DVD diode :D

JLSE

Its kinda like being 10 years old all over again, with the ability to bring the sun and the magnifying glass indoors! :)

L

likewhat

Please dont mount a scope onto your laser. When you are following the fly shooting it and it flys in front of a mirror that laser is gonna bounce into your scope and get resized to a tiny beam before shooting you in the eye.

Switch

likewhat said:
Please dont mount a scope onto your laser. When you are following the fly shooting it and it flys in front of a mirror that laser is gonna bounce into your scope and get resized to a tiny beam before shooting you in the eye.

OD-7 scope :D

JECS

likewhat said:

dont have it near any mirrors? there is a good chance mosquitoes are going to be above the laser anyways so you can always just make it so that its not able to tilt far enough down to have the dot bounce back at the laser.

Switch

Yea that or a good OD-7 scope :D
The thing is, at those small distances , a scope would be very inacurate.It would be cool to have a high powered IR diode and an IR scope.So you run the diode at a very low level for targeting, and when the dot is on the bug you press the turbo button and ZAP! no more bug :D