Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

more power from storm mg

looking to get more power from cheavet storm mg wanting to swap laser or turn up the power not sure how i have done some reading but still cant find what i need any help would be great i need advice be for i go poking around in there
specs
voltage 12vdc 1a
current 115v 0.1a
power 14w
laser 5mw 532 750usec -cw class 3r
it says on the box thats its a 40 mw but on the unit itself 5mw?:mad:

If you want to swap the laser, you have to swap the whole module with 532nm dpss lasers.
Pot modding usually kills a laser but if you CAN adjust the current and change the module it should work as long as the driver can handle the increased load.
There is too much info missing to give you a definitive answer but if you are willing to lose the laser, experiment to your heart's content.
I have ruined enough lasers and diodes to know that they are all just scrap waiting to happen ^_^

what other info would you like i have it apart but working still i have a steady hand can read and follow instructions but if i can just order in a module were would be a good place to look and could i add another and have 2? im limited to green only as well right?

sorry its says that it is a 30 mw laser so im guessing they underpower it to make it more sellable ? it says 5 mw on the product itself tho

Yeah, under 5mW is legal in the states so that makes sense.
An IR diode needs ~2V so the driver isn't supplying 12V. That would bake the diode instantly ^_^
You can get overspec green modules at o-like or you can get underspec green modules a lot cheaper from deal extreme.
$/mW you are likely better off with DX but if you want a decent quality module, O-Like is of course better.
You would pretty much need a laser power meter to "pot mod" your green as it is up to 30mW accurately and that is only if there is a potentiometer available for you to play with.
They might have turned down the output and just stuck a 5mW on there because they were cheap too.
It is a little complicated I'd recommend leaving it as a working laser and doing a bit of research on "ddl drivers", "dummy loads", and then build your own lab style laser at the output you want with a better module.
That way you will still have your existing laser to play with, as well as a powerful green that you did yourself.
The sense of accomplishment you get by powering up your first laser is addictive though. You might end up spending more and more on this hobby as you learn new things ;)

so you think its most likely a 5 mw laser or that they turned down the power . also would a 100mw still only nead ~2v i cant seem to find the potentiometer or i would have already turned it up im thinking its inside of laser module behind the small fan ..so what your saying is if i buy a over spec module and wire it in i would be good to go? but not know what the mw power is without a laser power meter i can get one if i really really need one but i dont need 30 mw i just need more then 5 im in canada im not sure what the rules are here but im not going to be blasting it into anyone's face anyways. i dont really feel like building one from scratch