Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Mohrenberg's TR-801 kit: 445nm 500mW

I snatched up one of Mohrenberg's TR-801 kits. It shipped and arrived promptly.

The machine work for the heat-sink is great. The 'sink fits nicely into the light and features a set-screw. An Aixiz module fits nicely into the heat-sink and there is not much of an "air-gap."
I didn't have a need to use any thermal adhesive here.
The surface of the heat-sink is "semi-polished" and it looks nice.

The host is not bulky or gaudy and looks great, IMO. This host is the same one I used for a 2.5W 808nm about a year ago, so it's nice that Mohrenberg decided to use it for one of his kits. I like it, especially since it is designed for 18650.

The assembly was simple. I set this diode to produce less than 500mW with an Aixiz 405nm lens. With a 405-G-1 lens, the peak power is about 575mW. I didn't want this one to be too high in Class IV since a friend is buying this one.
The driver is a Micro Flex V5 and is 'sinked to the pill in the flashlight.
At a (relatively) low current setting, this light does not warm up much with long usage.

The kit is functional and attractive.
Mohrenberg offers a great service and I recommend him for his good work - not to mention his great deals.
Thanks!

Enjoy a few pictures and pick one up if he offers them again. ;)

Last edited:

This is a great host. I have all the parts for a 12x build for mine that I'll hopefully get to this weekend. I was a little concerned about the small heatsink but the way it fits into into the pill and everything screws together with the head it masks the entire host into a big heatsink.

Glad you posted this!
This the first pictures i've seen of any of the kits being made into functional lasers (other than my own)

I love those pictures as well!
Did you have any problem getting everything wired? it can get a little cramped inside this build.

This is a great host. I have all the parts for a 12x build for mine that I'll hopefully get to this weekend. I was a little concerned about the small heatsink but the way it fits into into the pill and everything screws together with the head it masks the entire host into a big heatsink.

Heat-sinking is not an issue for this laser. Your 12X (depending on how hard you drive it) should be perfectly fine as well. :)

Glad you posted this!
This the first pictures i've seen of any of the kits being made into functional lasers (other than my own)

I love those pictures as well!
Did you have any problem getting everything wired? it can get a little cramped inside this build.

I'm glad you like the pictures. Feel free to use them in your sale threads if you want.

I did not have any problems with space. I have, after all, managed to get a 2.5W 808nm C-mount in one before so this one was a piece of cake. The Flex is mounted to the bottom of the pill with some thermal adhesive (thanks for the extra by the way!) and then enclosed with the flashlight's PCB. Everything fits snugly together.

One more thing - for anyone else using this kit, I recommend you trim the diode pins just long enough for you to solder some wires to. If you leave them long they will make contact with the back of the pill when it all comes together. Some insulation (electrical tape on the inside of the pill or heat shrink tubing over the pins) wouldn't hurt either.