Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Module disconnected from driver circuit

I just got a 5mW 532nm pointer as a gift from my girlfriend and broke it within two days :(. I for some reason thought it was ok to twist the cap that holds the module, and after enough twisting, hitting the power button resulted in no light.

I pulled out the module to find that the two wire leads that connect the circuit to the module broke and now there is no electrical connection between the batteries and the module.

How can I get this fixed? I can't imagine how I can solder it together, as I don't know which module lead is positive nor which circuit lead is positive. Furthermore, since the circuit is within the housing tube, I cannot solder the module with the leads and then close it up together.

I really just want to go somewhere and have somebody fix this. What kind of place would do this, a watch maker? please help me!

Well its not the end of the world Look around here there is a thread where member COCONUTS is selling over spec greenies fro 14.00 or something like that. I would like to think you could fix that twisted wreck, but without pics I would not know where to start other than the pin out for a IR diode IIRC they are the same as a LPC or DVD burner pinout.

That host is case positive I'm sure of that, they always seems to be anyhow. Good luck

If you had pictures I may be able to figure out if I could fix it for you or not. Try to get some as clear as you can of both sides of the module and the inside of the laser.

First post a picture of the whole pointer to see if it's even worth the time repairing. Unless your GF bought you a really nice laser pointer, it'll probably be more worth your time to just buy a new one. Also you might have pulled the pins out of the laser diode, and if so it is probably irreparable.

Benm

Indeed, pictures would help a lot!

In general for green laser pointers the case is connected to the positive terminal of the batteries. Usually there is only one lead to the negative end of the batteries though, the other part of the circuit is completed by the case itself.

Are you sure you ripped the battery connection, and not the laser diode connection?