Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Modifying a Crelant 7G2CS Driver - Advice?

IsaacT

Hello everybody,

I am currently collecting data and getting ready to modify my Crelant 7G2CS 600Lumen Flashlight into a powerful 9mm build.

Why do I want to do this to such a nice flashlight? You may ask. Well, the reason is in the modes. This flashlight has the following modes: High, Low, Strobe, and SOS. But it also has an infinite number of settings via a ramping feature. If you hold down the side button on it, it will slowly change the power up and down and you can stop at any point. So I could turn the power down on my laser if I wanted to.

So here is my question: I heard that the driver outputs 2500mA to the LED on high. As I am planning to run a 9mm on this driver, that is close but a bit too high I think. So how would I adjust this driver? How do I preserve the modes?

Thanks,
Isaac

Hopefully this will be a pretty awesome build. The host is quite durable so I think this will be an excellent project if I can make it work. I have already figured out taking the head apart, but not the pill yet. Hope I don't have to drill.

djQUAN

Post hi-res pictures of the driver when you get it out so we might have an idea what you should replace to lower the current. :)

remember that the LED in the flashlight has a lower forward voltage than the 9mm 445nm laser diode.

i don't think the driver will be able to boost the voltage and pump it with the 2500mA it drives the LED with.

put it on a test load with 3x1N5408 diodes as load and 1ohm resistor in series - and you can measure the current passing through them.

IsaacT

I still have to figure out how to get the emitter disc off the top of the pill. I would rather not have to drill through.

If you're talking about the white plastic LED centering disk, I'm pretty sure it's only held in there with a bit of pressure.

I had it just fall out on two of my lights, there were no signs of glue, epoxy/thermal paste.

Don't have any advice on how to remove it.

IsaacT

Ill try something's today.. How bad would 2.5A be for a 9mm diode? I am worried that altering anything may ruin the modes

DTR

Ill try something's today.. How bad would 2.5A be for a 9mm diode? I am worried that altering anything may ruin the modes

It is certainly pushing the diode to its limits. I have a personal unit set that high myself doing 3.4W but I assume and accept there will be a shorter life out of the diode. Heat management is also critical when running them that hard as there will be a lot of waste heat specially depending on efficiency. If it does 3.6W or something you will be better off than if it is only doing 3W.

Last edited:

djQUAN

Also note that the 2.5A may be an average value as some LED drivers have a bit of ripple on the output so the peak current may be much more than 2.5A.

IsaacT

How short do you think it would make the diode life? At a certain point for the hobbyist it will not be noticed. I don't use my high power builds all that much.